Black Spanish spacing....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pg55

Reaction score
what should I do? This spring I planted Black Spanish 8' apart. This is a picture I took. These vines are growing into each other and this is their first year of growth on the trellis. Do I have to keep them trimmed hard to keep in place or should I dig every other up to give more room? I let them grow free but did remove any grape clusters.

Having a problem getting a picture to load. Will get one later Got it.
157bzb4.jpg

Last edited:
This is not a problem. That is a very nice first year's growth. In spring you will prune. How will
You be training the vines?

This is not a problem. That is a very nice first year's growth. In spring you will prune. How will
You be training the vines?

I plan on spitting it 4 ways which will give it 4 feet on each double wire. I plan on cutting all that growth on the bottom which is trailing on my drip system.

pg55 said:
I plan on spitting it 4 ways which will give it 4 feet on each double wire. I plan on cutting all that growth on the bottom which is trailing on my drip system.

I would suggest using a cordon system. That is what they have used Val Verde Winery for 100 years in Del Rio, Texas.

You look good to me. I just went by dry comal creek vineyards and looked at theirs. I was surprised at how close they had them spaced compared to what I have done. These things grow like crazy. I bought a bottle of their 100% black spanish and I was surprised how good it tasted. Now I have something to shoot for. Unfortunately I just moved so I'm starting my black spanish from the beginning again. Good luck.

I have a 1st year pruning question with Black Spanish. I am training the laterals down the cordon. I read that I should not allow it to take off down the cordon. If this is true at what point do I cut it short?

Latest posts

Back