black rot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonm

Reaction score
didn't see any problems and then almost overnight I got about 30% of my leafs with this. (see picture) I don't see any of those black pycnidia spots around the edges but I'm guessing black rot. :( Only have fifty plants and have spent the last two days cutting off the infected leaves. Are there any other suggestions for me at this point?? thanks, gordon

f3.jpg

f2.jpg

Last edited:
It's a little late this year to do much more than you are already doing. I would plan on an aggressive spray program next year as soon as you get bud break.

Many of the U-pick farms in the Northern Texas area are saying that they have Black Rot too.

Just curious, can the grapes still be used to make wine or is that a big NO NO?

This is my second year and I'm still learning. Got a regular season plan for next year but can't quite put my finger on a dormant spray for this winter. Any suggestions on what to use and when to spray?? thanks, gordon

You can use a dormant oil spray( will kill lots of bugs or a few weeks before bud break a lime sulfer spray

My understanding is that Mancozeb is the fungicide of choice for black rot. But I don't have experience yet to say that. Fungicides alone won't be enough. You need to also practice good sanitation - remove and destroy any leaves with lesions. Don't leave mummies hanging on your vines. Remove canes that have lesions and find good clean canes for your fruiting canes.

ok, thanks everyone, with all this help, I'm looking forward to next year. I'm just kind of wondering, what did winemakers do in the days before sprays?? I wonder if I can find some information on that. Gordon

Latest posts

Back