black raspberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damudman

Reaction score
I am doing a wild black raspberry.
My ph is 4.4. Would I need to adjust the ph?
If so how and what ph should I shoot for. :?

damudman said:
I am doing a wild black raspberry
My ph is 4.4. Would I need to adjust the ph?
If so how and what ph should I shoot for. :?

Yes, you need to adjust your ph to be between 3.1 and 3.7. Add Tartaric acid in small amounts.

Yes, you need to adjust your ph to be between 3.1 and 3.7. Add Tartaric acid in small amounts.

This.

Black raspberry makes awesome wine. You may need to adjust your tannin to get it some body though. It's better if you use a lot of fruit and little/no water.

spaniel said:
This.

Black raspberry makes awesome wine. You may need to adjust your tannin to get it some body though. It's better if you use a lot of fruit and little/no water.

If you are looking for body add glycerin. You may want to use an acid blend (it's a combination of malic, citric and tartaric acid) to lower your ph to the safe level.

You should shoot for about 3.4 PH Acid blend is fine.

We make quite a bit of black raspberry and found this is one of those strange fruit wines that if you use little water, the flavor is really tamped down. We make it with no water, but then we cut it 50/50 with Niagara wine which really brings the raspberry flavor forward.

My advice is to follow a standard recipe--the recipe for red raspberry would be fine. It really needs that water dilution.

Latest posts

Back