Black Currant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallTown

Reaction score
Has anybody out here made Black Currant fromRibena Blackcurrant Concentrate? Do you have a recipe? Any input would be appreciated.

Not that I know of as that would be pretty expensive. Just get a can of Vintners Harvest Wine base, it would be easier and much cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Ribena has sorbate or some other anti yeast stuff in it, some people simmer it a while to keel the preservatives, we like to use Ribena to backsweeten our black currant wines made from fruit or vitners. Looza sells black currant juice in healthfood stores that is very good. CC

Last edited:
Cracked, what is the name of the juice you find in your health food stores there?

Looza brand, easy to get at hippie stores and even sometimes grocery store although few people know about it. Also if there are any Brit grocery stores they have this stuff too.

ps I keep getting notices about getting a PM but there are no new ones, what is that about some kind of software issue? Crackedcork

If one was going to make a small batch this is the way to go. Vinters Harvest is good but your either making three or five gallons at a time. I think that I'll try and make a gallon batch with the Ribena Black Currant concentrate.

Cracked, it means someone liked one of your posts. You can turn that off in your account settings or just view the like thread below the new notifications when you click to view the pm.

Ribena Blackcurrant Concentrate
Ingredients:

• Sucrose
  • Water
  • Glucose fructose syrup
  • Blackcurrant juice
  • Citric acid
  • Absorbic acid
  • Sodium benzoate and sodium metabusulfite
  • Grapeskin extract
This may be hard to start with sodium benzoate and sodium metabusulfite in it.

Back