Black currant juice recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have a recipe for wine from black currant juice? I can buy a brand of black currant / apple juice that 100% juice... it's very heavy bodied, with a lot of black currant flavor and sediment. I'm thinking that it would make a good wine.

I'm not sure of how much acid, etc that I should add. Also, do I use only juice, or add in some water? I'll be making 1 gallon.

On another note, I discovered that some of my jugs are imperial gallons and some are US gallons... that would explain an earlier problem with having to add a lot of extra water. D'oh!!

It would really matter on how acidic it is to give you a decent or should I say appropriate recipe for this. I would feel safe to say that it would need to be full strength with no dilution unless this is a concentrate.

No, it's not a concentrate, so then I would use it full strength. The label says it's 100% fruit, preservative free. It has water, juice, and citric acid.

I was thinking that I would add pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, and sugar to 1.085. But I'm not sure if I'm missing anything, or of the qtys of the enzyme and nutrient.

Hmm, I don't have an acid test kit, but I read somewhere that if a juice is balanced enough for drinking, then it should be ok for making wine. What's your opinion on that?

Thanks

Should be within reason as far as acid. As far as nutrient goes its 1 tsp per gallon. Pectic enzyme will say on the container.

Ok, then I'm going to pick up the juice and give it a try.

Thanks for the input.

Make really sure there are no preservatives in the juice
like sulphite and sorbate. Otherwise it might give you a hell
of a time starting fermenting........

If the juice is pasteurised use extra pectic enzyme to break down
any pectin. I would do that anyway.........

Luc

On another note, I discovered that some of my jugs are imperial gallons and some are US gallons... that would explain an earlier problem with having to add a lot of extra water. D'oh!!

US gallon measure about 3.7 liter
Imperial gallons measure about 4.5 liter

So if you upscale all ingredients by a factor 1.2 you should be
fine in the future for the imperial gallons.........

Allie ????

I still stand my ground: Metrics are far more easier :r

Luc

Ha! Luc, I agree with you... divide or multiply by 10, what could be easier? :h

As for preservatives, there are none listed on the label, so I should be ok.

Latest posts

Back