Bitten hard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chitownwine

Reaction score
So like most what starts as simple hobby quickly gets out of control. Needless to say after 50 or so kits wanted to try something on a little bigger scale but due to certain constraints not ready to go right to grapes. I have set up account with my company with us elite winery in Cali and seems like there concentrates are used by many wineries.

I am Ordering there concentrate buckets that make 18 gallons each. I will also probably use one or two crushed grape packs per batch also. First question for you guys is if I ferment 18 gallons at a time with grape pack you think I should use the brute 32 gallon or 20 gallon buckets?

Also I have been buying 1 gallon spring water jugs for kits but will be needing a lot more now. My tap water is decent already but wanted to see what kinds of filtration systems people use and would recommend when using tap water.

Thanks for all your help as always.

Chi

For 18 gallons with pack youd better play it safe. Bigger is always better when your talking primary.

Thanks wade that's what I was leaning towards. Any thoughts on good water filtration systems or should I stick With buying lots of spring water.

I've never had an issue with my tap water. When I first started out making wine, I filtered my water. In order to see if there was a difference, I quit filtering for a while. No difference. No filtering.

chitownwine said:
So like most what starts as simple hobby quickly gets out of control. Needless to say after 50 or so kits wanted to try something on a little bigger scale but due to certain constraints not ready to go right to grapes. I have set up account with my company with us elite winery in Cali and seems like there concentrates are used by many wineries.

I am Ordering there concentrate buckets that make 18 gallons each. I will also probably use one or two crushed grape packs per batch also. First question for you guys is if I ferment 18 gallons at a time with grape pack you think I should use the brute 32 gallon or 20 gallon buckets?

Also I have been buying 1 gallon spring water jugs for kits but will be needing a lot more now. My tap water is decent already but wanted to see what kinds of filtration systems people use and would recommend when using tap water.

Thanks for all your help as always.

Chi

i noticed a big difference bewteen spring water and city water. my city hses lots of chlorine tho.

Yeah im thinking to maybe continue using spring for now figure whats extra 5 bucks for 6 gallons of wine, dont wanna wish i can done something different down the road.

Has anyone tried this US Elite Wine? The price seems pretty reasonable at around $80 for a 23L kit. They claim it is winery grade.

Cant speak for product myself since just ordered but have found several wineries making wine from their products. They are fairly concentrated but have no added sugar and have high total dissolved solids i believe. will keep forum posted as I start the juice. price will end up being cheaper than many high end kits even when factoring shipping in.

to tap or not????

you were correct in (mop) to use bottled water others may disagree,if you can continue to do so,what type yeast and amount will you use?:sh

Have not received the juice cont yet but I believe they come with the recommended yeast and assuming the correct amount. Maybe someone who has used us elite can chime in.

As far as amount of water will be using a lot since they are quite concentrated. on order of 13 gallon of water for the 18 gallon mark. so good quality water is even more important.

I ordered two of the 6.4L kits, a Chardonnay and a Symphony. It was $200.79 shipped to WI. I will keep you posted as to how these go.

Great please do thanks. I;ll do the same have the sangiovese and cab franc on the way to start with.

Hey Chitown I'm curious if you received any type of shipping communication from US Elite after you ordered? I recieved an automated credit card receipt in my email but nothing about shipping. I also went into my banking account this morning and noticed that the payment to them is still pending? I didn't set up an account with them I just went right to check out. I noticed if you try to set up an account you need a tax ID number where as if you go directly to check out you don't. Maybe that's why my order is pending. hmmm..

Had similar issue. Need to make sure they have tax id and company name for it to be proceeded. I ended up calling them.

Bit of a late response on the water - but home filters do a good job of taking minerals and chlorine out of the water cheaply and conveniently. Think Brita or Pur attached right to the faucet.

The water from here in Jefferson county Alabama already tastes like wine!

Latest posts

Back