Bird net

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Covered my grapes well this year and now all of the wild elderberries have been decimated...

I've had to use bird netting for years. Usually I will put the nets on as the grapes start to change color. I have to laugh, when I start testing for sugar so do the birds. But anyway I will trim the vines back so I don't have a big problem with the tendrals at this point. I have had to learn how to close the netting tightly and around the stalk of the vine I will fill this gap with newspaper as the darn birds will actually get inside the netting. I only have five vines of merlot and five Zin vines so I have to protect the small crop that I have. But I have never really had an issue with the tendrals.

Good luck.

Lisa

Took me two years to get it right on birds and raccoons. Best way to do the netting is to use zip ties. I drape the nets, then get under the vines and pull the two sides to together. Starting at the bottom I roll them up combining the two sides and then zip-tie it. I do this every few feet and on both sides of the vine trunk. Its a pain, but if you do this and leave no holes, they wont get in. If you leaven any holes in the netting, they will get in and strip you clean. Raccoons are harder. They will just climb up on the netting (nice ladder) or get under it. See image below.

I ended up putting T-post around the vineyard, and putting up 4 strands of electric fence and used a solar powered shocker. Start 3-4 inches from ground and go up at 5-6 inch intervals. This will cover about 2ft in height and it WILL keep them out. Coyotes will jump over the fence, but the netting will keep them out. I have some interesting video from my deer cam I used to watch one raccoon get zapped.

As for taking the netting off, check out this video and you can see me just pulling them off. Sure some tender parts of the vine come, but they only need to be on the vines for 3-5 weeks so you shouldn't have too much growth in that time. Never hurt my vines just pulling it off.

https://videopress.com/v/vUgM0dWk

racoon2.jpg

Latest posts

Back