When do the nets go up?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Kneeland

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Learned peoples

Watching my first crop of Marquette growing daily. Wondering, do I wait for the colour turn to put the nets up? We have a LOT of birds and I am sure I would get cleaned out quickly. Any downside of being early?

We also might have some racoons that need relocation.

Hoping for a carboy from 10 vines but I may be dreaming!

Thanks
Rob

I usually put mine on a week or so after veraison begins which for my Marquette’s in central NY is around mid August. Once the sugar contents starts to rise they get more attractive to the birds and ultimately the yellow jackets.

A few years ago I was going out of town and decided to wait another week. Bad move! The birds ate 50% of the crop.

My nets are on my blueberries now and fortunately they will be done about the time I need to move the nets to the grapes.

With 10 productive vines you should easily get 5 gallons of juice!

For me the yellow jackets and bald face hornets will completely destroy the grapes in a few days. I cover when I see the first yellow jackets.

Like @jackl I put mine up about a week after veraison begins, which was Monday for me. I don’t know whether it’s detrimental to do it earlier or not. For me, I have mine on VSP and prefer to wait to aid with shoot positioning and spray coverage. The way mine grow, after I net, the leaves near the fruiting zone get a bit compact.

I have a few Marquette that are starting to turn. Racoon got through the net I put around one tiny bunch that decided it was August. The electric fence netting (deluxe poultry) is due to be delivered today. We have to get that up and hope that the racoon isn't hiding in the vineyard when we close it off. Anyway, I hope my nets can wait another week or two. I have to drop fruit and hate to have to get in the nets to do that. I will if I have to though!

Oh yeah, netting, fencing, ain't cheap. UGH!

For me the yellow jackets and bald face hornets will completely destroy the grapes in a few days. I cover when I see the first yellow jackets.
There are some good YouTube videos of how to make simple yellow jacket traps. They are very effective. Also picking out any rotten grapes reduces wasps and flies.

Latest posts

Back