WineXpert Binge making!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideways2

Reaction score
Greetings!!

So...ever binge make kits?? LOL!!

I've been lazy...so much so my stock dwindled away to the point that this year so far I've made 7 kits!! All Winexpert:

Selection Italian Montepulciano
Selection Chilean Carmenère
World Spanish Tempranillo
World Italian Pinot Grigio
World California Trinity White
World California Moscato
Mist Raspberry Peach Sangria

Not to mention a Barons Beer kit for my wife...just for giggles cause I've never made one before!!!

I want to do the California Trinity Red and possibly the Diablo Rojo but I want another white first...can someone recommend something in the lines of what I don't have??

Nothing sweet...nothing peaches...I have the Moscato for that...something that is nice and fresh and crisp and refreshing...

I'm also planning by years end to do two Eclipse kits...reds...something I can age for three years and take out on my 50th birthday!! Suggestions??

Thanks kindly people!!! Appreciated!!!

I have had very good results with all the premium kits, but since you are on a WE binge you might as well consider the Eclipse line: Lodi Ranch 11 Cab or Stag's Leap Merlot; Sonoma Pinot Noir is also very good. If you are looking to wait three years try an Amarone - I love my Cellar Craft Showcase Amarone and it is only two years old.

I would say the En Primeur Trentino Italian Pinot Grigio sounds like it would fit the bill I've been wanting to try it myself but I've been on a red kick ..well you know how it goes lol

I have had very good results with all the premium kits, but since you are on a WE binge you might as well consider the Eclipse line: Lodi Ranch 11 Cab or Stag's Leap Merlot; Sonoma Pinot Noir is also very good. If you are looking to wait three years try an Amarone - I love my Cellar Craft Showcase Amarone and it is only two years old.

Winexpert only cause I love the local store...they treat me right...and it's not like I'm a connoisseur or anything like that...I know there may be better out there and certainly there are worse...but I've never had a bad WE kit so I'll continue to support the guys who took the time to help me get started in this hobby!!

And...Lodi Cab was the front runner for my 50th...good to hear!!!

For a white, how 'bout a Riesling, Gewurztraminer, or a nice Chardonnay.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Between a Lodi Ranch 11 Cab or Stag's Leap Merlot IPO they are both great kits. It just depends which win you like best Cab or Merlot.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

For a white, how 'bout a Riesling, Gewurztraminer, or a nice Chardonnay.

That's what I was thinking...although...last night I went to the local Liquor Store and bought a cheap Peller Chardonnay...I have to say...the one glass I had...I wasn't thrilled...not sure why...I'll try more today...

One thing I know...it and Riesling are very terrior grapes so I guess I really have to watch where they come from if I want a certain flavor to come through...

Between a Lodi Ranch 11 Cab or Stag's Leap Merlot IPO they are both great kits. It just depends which win you like best Cab or Merlot.

Any thoughts on the Barolo??

I'm super excited about my Montepulciano :h

I recently bottled the Lodi Cab and first impressions are it could be the best cab i have to so far. More time in the bottle will tell. I also have the Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir up next for bottling but cant give an opinion yet.

Have you considered the selection international series with grape skins? The Argentine Malbec i did is very smooth, now at 15 months.

I also made the Eclipse Riesling and Sauv Blanc and both are excellent although I added the zest of grapefruit in the secondary for the Sauv.

cheers

I recently bottled the Lodi Cab and first impressions are it could be the best cab i have to so far. More time in the bottle will tell. I also have the Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir up next for bottling but cant give an opinion yet.

Have you considered the selection international series with grape skins? The Argentine Malbec i did is very smooth, now at 15 months.

I also made the Eclipse Riesling and Sauv Blanc and both are excellent although I added the zest of grapefruit in the secondary for the Sauv.

cheers

My son and I recently bottled the Eclipse Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir and it was wonderful. I am not even particularly fond of Pinot, but it was extermely silky and surprisingly complex. Definitely recommend it.

FWIW, my son is on his way to Sonoma Valley right now to start a new job with Kendall Jackson. Pretty exciting!

cheers

Good to hear on the Cab!!

I'm not a Malbec fan nor a Shiraz fan...not sure why but everything one I've tried commercially have not thrilled me...

Greetings!!

So...ever binge make kits?? LOL!!

I am on the binge as we speak. Started my 6th kit since Feb tonight, and one left to start tomorrow.

Niagara Mist Pinot Noir (Red) - Black Cherry
Grand Cru Select (White) - California Chardonnay
Kendall Ridge Classic (Red) - Vieux Chateaux du Roi
Grand Cru Select Signature Series (White) - Gewurztraminer
Niagara Mist (Blush) - Strawberry
Grand Cru Orchard Breeze (Red) - Cranberry Craze

and next up:
Grand Cru Select Signature Series (White) - Australian Cabernet Sauvignon

Now you went and made me do a count (Glad my wife was not doing the counting). This year we (the collective we) have started 12 wine, 3 beer, 2 cider and bottled 9 wine, 3 beer, 2 cider. Isn't admitting you have a problem half the battle?

cheers

Last edited:
Fantastic!!!

I find no problem in that LOL!!

Beer kits or from scratch??

I started my first beer kit a few weeks ago...Baron's...if successful and my wife likes...I'll go hunt down something else!!

Fantastic!!!

I find no problem in that LOL!!

Beer kits or from scratch??

I started my first beer kit a few weeks ago...Baron's...if successful and my wife likes...I'll go hunt down something else!!

Kits. Festa Brew. Not sure if they are available from outside Canada. Cider was half batches from fresh store bought juice.

cheers

Greetings from the Valley, Putterr!

I've bought a bit of used equipment over your way the last few years. Seems with the brew on site rules changing, allot of folks have been getting out of home wine making.

The son of a friend just started a job at one of the valley wineries (cant remember which one at the moment). He spent many years working in the BC industry and has brought that knowledge home. I hope to get a few tips myself. lol

happy apple blossom festival

cheers

Binge? What's that. I got some wine making equipment for Christmas. So far I've bottled 54 gallons! I love it

Pinot Gris 6 gal
Strawberry white merlot. 6 gal
Raspberry peach sangria. 6 gal
Dragon blood. 12 gal
Eclipse Cab Sov. 6 gal
Skeeter pee. 6 gal
Malbec/Shiraz. 6 gal
Welch's white. 6 gal

Bottled. 54 gal

In carboys

Malbec. 6 gal
Orange chocolate 1 gal

7 gal

Primary

Cherry lime db. 6 gal

Next up
Trinity white
Welch's Concord
Skeeter pee
Amarone
Db
Db
Db

I have the trinity white and a selection international amarone on the shelf waiting to go. I plan on doing a dragon blood variant marathon for the upcoming contest. Hope one of them is "excellent". We'll see. I don't plan on winning the contest but ill sure try. So far I think the skeeter pee or dragon blood has been the most popular. I like the red kits I've done so far too.

being in Minnesota, have you visited the skeeter pee museum?

cheers

Latest posts

Back