big southern snow

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonmaster42

Reaction score
Was able to get back to my house today after being stuck at my girlfriends house since Sunday afternoon with all the snow. Ended up with 7" total here in Benton. Not much to you Northerner's but shut down pretty much all travel in the state including the interstate where people were stuck for up to 14 hours just south of Little Rock. It hit hard and fast when it started.

163711_1538598993518_1491202132_31200596_1011504_n.jpg

165202_1538601513581_1491202132_31200599_4414070_n.jpg

Tony

Keep it down there Tony! We are in our dry pattern for probably January and half of February. The storms generally stay south of us and we only get one to three inch snowfalls every couple days. Again the feet of snow is to our south. But then we have the other half of February and March to get through. That is when we typically get the heavier snows as the jetstream returns to the north.

Oh, I forgot to say, poor boy. Stuck with the girlfriend for a couple days with nothing to do......................................
smiley9.gif

We are about to get hot with possibly 2" of snow starting in a few hours!!! What excuse did you tell the wife seeing as how you were at your girlfriends house???
smiley36.gif

just turned the heat on the greenhouses...looks like 12-18 inches here soon

Wade said:
We are about to get hot with possibly 2" of snow starting in a few hours!!! What excuse did you tell the wife seeing as how you were at your girlfriends house???
smiley36.gif

Wow Wade, two whole inches of snow
smiley36.gif

And it is going to be HOT to boot!
smiley36.gif

I can see him now
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif

If I keep it up I will get one of these
smiley18.gif
just like Wade did a few years ago!

Next summer when it's hot out, I'll use this as my desktop background.

20110111_195621_HPIM0212_800x60.jpg

Ooops, that was supposed to be around 2</font>'</font> of snow. They are saying 10-20" of snow with a possibility of 2' locally.</font></font>

I may have the show stopper!!!

Landed in Atlanta yesterday.... FROZEN RAIN.... My flight to South Carolina was canceled and I had to get there by today.

Drove ALL night on a sheet of ice. We went 213 miles, and it took 10 hours!!!!

Brutal

I got 23". Worked all day and came home only to not be even able to pull in the driveway or even see the driveway for that matter. The first 7' of the driveway were about 5' tall from the plows and man did it give my snow blower a hard time, very heavy packed snow there. I dont have a garage either so I have to also do about 175' of my yard before I even get to my driveway! Ive about had it now ! I just thanks God that the snow blower's pull rope broke last storm and not this one!

Wade said:
I got 23". Worked all day and came home only to not be even able to pull in the driveway or even see the driveway for that matter. The first 7' of the driveway were about 5' tall from the plows and man did it give my snow blower a hard time, very heavy packed snow there. I dont have a garage either so I have to also do about 175' of my yard before I even get to my driveway! Ive about had it now ! I just thanks God that the snow blower's pull rope broke last storm and not this one!
schneepflug.jpg

runningwolf said:
Wade said:
schneepflug.jpg

Wow thanks...now I'm gonna have to go to bed and try to get the images of him yanking on his pull rope till it breaks out of my mind...

dragonmaster42 said:
Southern Florida is looking better and better every day.
smiley36.gif

Only state with no snow on the ground, but it's still too cold for us!

Goodfella said:
I may have the show stopper!!!

Landed in Atlanta yesterday.... FROZEN RAIN.... My flight to South Carolina was canceled and I had to get there by today.

Drove ALL night on a sheet of ice. We went 213 miles, and it took 10 hours!!!!

Brutal

Man! I know how you feel. I had a similar incident a few years ago, It took 10 hours to drive 175 miles... that was no picnic.

In the winter about 12 years ago, when I was about to move to Colorado Springs, I really thought the snow would be 4 or 5 feet high along the road sides and in the yards. I was surprised to find they don't get that much snow on any regular basis. I am not disappointed! I think the heaviest snow we have had in my 12 years was about 12 inches. With the sunshine at our altitude, the snow doesn't hang around too long.

Up here I get off of work with only 1/2 hr to 45 minutes before it gets dark out. I've been spending that time each day this week pulling snow off of my roof. I'm not even half done yet. There's close to 40 inches of the stuff up there. It's really fun. You should try it some time.

I would kill to only have 7 inches.....lucky @#$&!%'s

Oh yeaaaa!! Look outside! It's snowing......again.

The worst part isn't that I have 15 foot high snow piles from plowing my driveway or that I have to take a snow rake to my roof. It's that I haven't been ice fishing once and probably won't get the chance. The ice on the lakes is very dangerous this year. Snow, although very cold itself, is an excellent insulator. Even when the temps drop way down to -20 or -30°F there's no ice being made because of the 3 to 4 feet of snow on top. Usually by this time there's a good 2 to 3 feet of ice, plenty to drive a 1 ton pickup on. I know a guy that went through on an ATV just the other day. Only 3 inches of ice under the snow. He's fine in case you're wondering. Fortunately the water was only 3 feet deep where he went in. I don't think the ice is going to be good at all this year.

Wino...Are we having fun yet?????? Just got the snow blower fixed for this weekend {drive when out}....Stay warm

Latest posts

Back