BIG DOG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George, I know Gwen knew what was happening, and her look said "Thank you." She was the easiest dog I have ever owned to house train, and when she became incontinent she was miserable because she was letting me down. I'm sorry, looking back, that I didn't give her release sooner, but I selfishly couldn't bear to give her up. For her last few months her hind legs were useless. For small moves she dragged herself. To go any distance, I wrapped a towel around her waist and picked up her hind end and walked with her.

The vet said there were three possibilities - a bone spur growing into her spinal column (X-ray rules that out), soft tissue growth putting pressure on the spinal column (a week of heavy steroid doses in the vet's office ruled that out), and spinal column demeylination - a breakdown of the insulation around the nerves in the spinal column. By elimination, that is what we decided it was.

Im a sucker for pets as Ive spent $1000 on surgeries for seperate animals at a clip on 4 different occasions give or take a hundred but if it can be fixed I do it.

Holy smokes that's a big dog. Even our 140# St. Bernard looks scrawny compared to that one.

wade said:
Im a sucker for pets as Ive spent $1000 on surgeries for seperate animals at a clip on 4 different occasions give or take a hundred but if it can be fixed I do it.

We manage to spend at least $500 on ours every spring with checkups, arthritis medication, heartworm medication, thyroid medication....not to mention refills throughout the year.

Nuts? Yeah, but they are the closest we have to kids.

I have pocket dogs. I carry both in one arm.

20070503_153617_dogs.jpg

Very cute little dogs. I guess I will have to take a pic of my dogs to keep Waldo happy.
smiley2.gif

Well, right now we have 7 Yorkies. SWMBO decided that after Gwen died, I had had 110lbs of dog, so now she was getting 110lbs of dog.

After Gwen I wasn't interested in another dog, but SWMBO wanted a lap dog. She came home one day with a Silky puppy she bought from some back yard breeder in town. Six months later Hershey started throwing up all the time. We took her to the vet, and he suspected a liver shunt. $3000 kater we learned that yes it was liver shunts, they were congenital, and inoperative. SWMBO put her down six months later, and her greif almost killed me.

The reason I tell you this is to warn you. If you want to buy a purebred dog go to dog shows and talk to the breeders, and buy from one of them. Every litter has pet grade puppies, but they will come from sound stock. Every puppy in a pet store comes from a puppy mill, probably with forged papers, and the breeder couldn't care less about genetic health. Backyard breeders just don't know any better.

A professional show/breeder will be able to give you a five generation pedigree. Look for Ch. in front of the names of the ancestors. That means they were Champions, which implies good stock, including health.

I someday want a lap dog, but for now we have active dogs that can live outdoors in the summer and ward off varmints.

I had told you that it is a zoo at my Friend's house....dog count is up to 11 now.

And this was in her yard at dawn and they didn't come down the tree till noon....

black_bear_and_cubs_009Small.jpg

She had to keep all the dogs indoors until the Mama Bear was comfortable enough to come down the tree....the Mama had an orange tacking collar and the cubs had ear tags....they had been tagged this spring nearmy friend'shome in their den while they were still hibernating. This sow only had 2 cubs...

Cute photo I thought.

Wildlife is awesome and I am envious of yous way out there that get to
see as much as you do. We had a coyote out in our neighbors yard about
a month ago just as I was opening the door to let my mut out and he ran
right after it and I never got a good look at it.

That picture looks like it was taken in the Great North Woods (except for the chain link fence). Oh wait a minute it was taken there!
smiley36.gif

She has her yard fenced to keep the bears out....She doesn't have a electric wire around the top along the lake....a week or two ago she had a big bear and 4 yearling cubs inside the fence...they climbed a tree to get over....now she has to hot wire the lake side too.....They come into clean out her bird feeders....there are just too many bears around lately.

Nature is great...that's why we live out here in the boonies.

Mine are nowhere near the size of that Big dog but they think they are!!
20070805_060841_JD-Mindy.jpg

Nice looking dogs RAMROD...Are you holding a treat to make them pose so nicely????

Looks like they are well maintained and probably don't shed too much.

Ours are such renagades.....they've been wading in the muddy drying up pond or in a plastic pool I have set out for them....pretty disgusting....Needless to say they haven't been coming indoors much lately.....When it is really hot and they aren't muddy they can come in and cool off with us.Edited by: Northern Winos

Thanks N/W

They are Mini Schnauzers and are considered non-shedding. No treat here just the sit command, these are the smartest quickest learning dogs I have ever had.

I cant get them to go near the pool or water at home, but at the beach or fishing I cant keep them out of the water. Go figure?????

Latest posts

Back