• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

better bottle carboys for sale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 5 gallon and 4 6 gallon carboys I no longer need.

I'm thinking $15.00 each on the 5 gallons and 20.00 each for the 2 used 6 gallons and 25 each for the 2 new in box 6 gallons

Yep, switching to all glass. Steve at allinonewine is costing me big time since you can't vacuum rack into a plastic jug. Lol

I also have some I never use. Keep in mind though you can rack from them. So if you were to siphon from glass on the bench down to the BB, Later on you can rack back up to the glass.

I am still using the plastic as the first carboy I go to after I leave the primary. I ferment upstairs because it is warmer and the plastic is easier to get to the basement. From there I rack to glass using the allinone and then age it in glass.

Over theyears I have figured out how to incorporate the plastic BB carboys with the AllIn One. You can always pull from a BB oran open container – whether you are transferring, bottling or filtering – youdo have to go into a glass container in order to withstand the vacuum pressureotherwise it will collapse.

I havetalked to many customers who have both types of carboys and this is what Irecommend. Transfer from BB to glass to remove CO2 and sediment. The glasscarboy should be higher than the BB for the next time you transfer; you canstart a small vacuum, only to get the gravity to work for you and then turn offthe pump. This way there is still no lifting heavy carboys!!

Working with better bottles

Here is my routine:

I ferment in a either a 6 or 7.5 gal food grade bucket on my counter. They both have holes for spigots. When the must reaches between 1.020 and 1.010 I use the spigot and a length of tubing to transfer to a Better Bottle to finish fermenting. When the must has finished fermenting I use a vacuum to rack into a glass carboy on my counter, add K-Meta and Sorbate it and may or may not add a finning agent. Wait a few days and use a vacuum pump to degas. If I added fining I will let it sit a week or so, if not I rack into a Better Bottle for bulk aging. I have 60+ gallons of wine aging and only have a 6 and 5 gallon glass carboy.

RR

Last edited:
Back