Best way to sweeten wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radman68

Junior
Reaction score
I have 5 gallons pretty much ready to bottle. I'd like to sweeten the batch without disturbing/aerating the wine too much. Should I make a batch of sugar water and add to it? I'm sure I shouldn't just add sugar to the wine and vigorously stir.

I take some wine out, add sugar to that, warm it til the sugar melts and add that back in.

make a sugar syrup, two cups sugar to one cup hot water, mix in blender let cool. set up four sample of wine , 100ml each. use first as control, add 1/4 tsp to second, two 1/4 tsp to third etc increase w a 1/4 tsp per sample . taste test and select the best. 1/4 tsp is 1.25 ml. ration a sample test against batch wine add sugar syrup accordingly. sorbate and so2 additions are required. let the batch sit for week to make sure it does not start fermentation. if okay bottle and enjoy.

I add straight sugar to mine. I don't want the extra water added in to dilute any flavor or alcohol.

2% residual sugar

I could use some advice on residual sugar and sorbate. How much sugar would you add to one gallon of wine to bring it to 2% residual sugar and then how much sorbate would you use to stabilize that one gallon?

Thanks in Advance!

Charlie

1/2 tsp per gallon for sorbate. Rule of thumb, 1 cup of sugar will raise sg .018 per gallon.

Thank you very much Julie. Much appreciated.
Glad I clicked on your link. You've done a lot!

Back