Best clearing agent for mead?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyiswine

Reaction score
Anyone have any advice as to what clearing agents seem to work best on mead? I have used everything from chitosan and isinglass to superkleer and spark allowed on kit and other juice wines. Curious if there was a preferred clearing agent for honey wines.

We use superkleer but that is just because that is what we use and it works.
I have used others that have come with kits to no ill effects.

I read up on this before starting making mead and found it varies as widely as with wine on ones preference.

I have only made a couple of meads, but leave em sit and they have cleared very clear. It has taken months not days to get them clear. Arne.

Arne is correct.. they do take allot longer ... if you thought you needed patients with wine (sheesh_ good luck) :)

I mixed one pack of isinglass into the carboy and went out of town for a couple weeks. Came home to a crystal clear mead. My wife said it looked great after only about 5 days. I was expecting it to take longer. Now it is just aging in the carboy. Looks and tastes pretty darn good.

I use Sparkaloid all the time. Sometime you can see it clearing in hours, sometime it takes weeks. Mead seems had to de gas completely and that will slow clearing. BTW if am am not being impatient I just let it clear on its own and the longest it has taken it 4 months

I normally let it sit until its clear, however on my last 2 I used Biofine Clear. by adding 1tbsp to the carboy then racking on top of it I had crystal clear mead in 2 days.

Back