Best beginner wine & Beer making kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pondvu

Reaction score
I would like to try making my own Wine and Beer.:h Any insight on the best low budget kits out there?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Hi Tom...well, I can't speak on wine kits, as I am making my first batch of wine.

But, for making beer, I recommend Mr Beer. I personally like Mr Beer because the fermenters (LBK's - Little Brown Kegs) are only 2.5 Gallons and make about a case of 12 Oz bottles of beer. I like the LBK's because of the size, they fit 3 across on the shelves inside my fermenting cabinet. I now have 6 LBK's, 4 for Ale, 2 I just bought for fermenting wine.

If you have never brewed before, and are looking for easy, then Mr Beer is right. It's brewing with Hopped Malt Extract (HME) as opposed to hop boils, grains etc.

The only drawback is Mr Beer refills are expensive. I buy Muntons and Briess Hopped Malt Extract and Liquid Malt Extract in 3.3 - 4 LB containers and measure out what I need. They actually cost less for that size than a 20 some ounce can of Mr Beer Refill.

I've been brewing ale with extracts for 3 years. It's tough for me to do hour long hop boils with a 4 year old boy running around, and the quality of the extracts is as good if not better in some cases than some all grain recipe home brews I've had. The quality of the extract beer I make with the Mr Beer LBK's is on par with NewCastle, Guiness, Sam Adams, or Bass...

One thing I can't stress enough is patience. You can't make good beer in 2 weeks. That's minimum fermenting time. Then a minimum of 2 weeks in the bottle. My brews ferment 3-4 weeks and then prime/condition for at least another 3-4 weeks before drinking.

Well, that's my long winded opinion on Beer Kits...good luck!

Fat Pete

If you plan on making wine and beer, get the equipment kit for making wine then add the stuff for beer. Most of the main equipment is the same for beer and wine except a capper vs a corker, and 5 gallon carboy vs 6 gallon carboy. The only thing you'll need for beer that you don't use for wine is a brew pot, a 20 qt is a good starter. You use the same primary fermenter ( get the 7.9 gallon for wine and works for beer too) hydrometer, thermometer, spoon, racking equipment, brushes, etc.
Use K- meta for wine and Star San for beer for sanitizing. oh and of course wine bottles for wine and beer bottles for beer..lol
I admire Mr. Beer for introducing a whole lot of people to beer making at what seems like a good price, but in the long run if you decide to move on to component beer kits and whole grain, you have to start all over because they make it so nothing transfers along. the kits are expensive and only make a case of beer. Most beer ingredient kits and from scratch recipes are made for 5 gallon batches ( just over 2 cases) and come out cheaper per bottle than what Mr. Beer offers. Yes you can work with the cans of liquid malt and measure them out but that can become a PITA. Using Mr. Beer and even the Briess and Munton LME's you have a limited amount of beer styles you can make, going with more traditional ways of making beer it is unlimited.

No offence Pete, but a LME beer is not in the same category as a whole grain recipe. If that was the case the brewerys would be using LME instead of grain and hops.

That said, with wanting to make both beer and wine, go with the more traditional methods of beer making, ie; ingredient kits and grain kits, working into whole grain brewing and stay away from the Mr. Beer. No reason to have two completely different systems to make beverages that are made close to the same.

If you plan on making wine and beer, get the equipment kit for making wine then add the stuff for beer. Most of the main equipment is the same for beer and wine except a capper vs a corker, and 5 gallon carboy vs 6 gallon carboy. The only thing you'll need for beer that you don't use for wine is a brew pot, a 20 qt is a good starter. You use the same primary fermenter ( get the 7.9 gallon for wine and works for beer too) hydrometer, thermometer, spoon, racking equipment, brushes, etc.
Use K- meta for wine and Star San for beer for sanitizing. oh and of course wine bottles for wine and beer bottles for beer..lol
I admire Mr. Beer for introducing a whole lot of people to beer making at what seems like a good price, but in the long run if you decide to move on to component beer kits and whole grain, you have to start all over because they make it so nothing transfers along. the kits are expensive and only make a case of beer. Most beer ingredient kits and from scratch recipes are made for 5 gallon batches ( just over 2 cases) and come out cheaper per bottle than what Mr. Beer offers. Yes you can work with the cans of liquid malt and measure them out but that can become a PITA. Using Mr. Beer and even the Briess and Munton LME's you have a limited amount of beer styles you can make, going with more traditional ways of making beer it is unlimited.

No offence Pete, but a LME beer is not in the same category as a whole grain recipe. If that was the case the brewerys would be using LME instead of grain and hops.

That said, with wanting to make both beer and wine, go with the more traditional methods of beer making, ie; ingredient kits and grain kits, working into whole grain brewing and stay away from the Mr. Beer. No reason to have two completely different systems to make beverages that are made close to the same.

No offense taken Doug, I go with what works for me, time and convenience are factors along with taste. I find Briess, Coopers and Muntons make fine liquid products.

My analogy is this...Some people bake a cake from scratch, while others choose to use a cake mix. I opt for the cake mix. Insert the Drunken Hines joke anywhere you please!

Good luck! :)

This thread reminded me to order some more of the Premier Malt in, not the best but the cheapest. :)
The cake mix comparison also came to mind and I understand the time thing too.

I started making beer from kits, I used the Brewers best kits and found them to be excellent (this doesn't mean that other kits aren't), after 6 kits, I moved into all grain and haven't looked back.
Although I agree with Doug, I have to say that if I would have started brewing beer as an all grain brewer, i probably would not have continued, the amount of equipment necessary and the many steps and hrs involved would have been too much while trying to understand the process.
I've made 12 all grain batches and I have a system now, from start to finish about 5-6 hrs, and I now buy grain by the 50 lb sack...lol....if I could only get my buddies to start chipping in for the expenses...lol

Check out Norther Brewer for great beer and wine kits and great prices.

Roger

Latest posts

Back