Berries Everywhere

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
Got out to the park today with SWMBO. We went a looking for berries, wild blackberries and mulberries that is.....

Brought a 3 gallon bucket and a 1 gallon bucket with us thank goodness. After all was cleaned and put away we had 5#'s of ripe mulberries and 11.5 pounds of fresh wild blackberries. And the season is just starting. We found a nice cove of mulberries in the park we had no idea existed. This year I hope to make 6+ gallons of that delicious wine...................

Okay, just rub it in! It will be a long time before anything is popping around here!

rule is.... that the first one picking then makes wine and ships it to everyone :)

I second that rule -- if there is no objection, we'll accept it by unanimous consent. Having heard no objection, the motion passes by unanimous consent. I'm looking forward to receiving that bottle.

BTW, congratulations on the windfall.

private Messages are to be sent to Gaudet's inbox...dont clog the forum w the requests...he will handle them direct with you....

By the time this stuff is ready you guys will have all forgotten about it LOL

Need way more berries before I even start this seasons batch. I've even still got some berries leftover from last year. I need to juice them and get them rolling.......

Wade,

You should have mulberries soon my friend..... Don't forget to pick them this year.....

I can't even imagine picking berries already. The farthest along is the raspberries. There are a bunch up near the house that have leaved out and grown a few inches and may blossom soon. The wild cherries are blooming now- in time for a winter storm advisory. Mixed rain and snow today, tonight, and tomorrow. It is snowing outside right now...............

At least you probably don't need to be meeting any bears while picking the berries. Have fun.

Gaudet I wish you lots and lots of luck and fun berry picking this year.
For all you folks out there waiting for fruit to ripen and vines to bud, here are a few picks around my yard to help see you through.

Hops

20100427_093040_DSCN5769_Deskto.JPG

Blueberries

20100427_092919_DSCN5766_Deskto.JPG

Blackberries

20100427_092749_DSCN5767_Deskto.JPG

Passion Fruit

20100427_092614_DSCN5765_Deskto.JPG

20100427_092445_DSCN5764_Deskto.JPG

It will still be a bit for the mangos but the figs look like they are getting very close.

Here in Northern Wisconsin, we are just starting to leaves on the maple trees! It will be awhile before we get any fruit!!

wade said:
Gaudet, no Mulberries here till around late June early July!

Got plenty down here Wade. I hope to pick more and more.

We got out to the park again today. Tallies were another 15.5 pounds of blackberries, and another 4.3 pounds of mulberries. Working our way up to a 6 gallon batch of mulberry for this year.

Looks like I got my first batch of blackberry picked already as we do have some leftover bags of them from last year and those will get used first.

wade said:
Good for you, Maybe go for a blackberry port and a wine this year.

I have about 15 pounds of blueberries leftover from last year. I will steam them and do a blueberry port probably. Will probably duplicate the recipe that I saw Waldo had used for his blackberry port.

I also found 3 quarts of what I believe to be blackberry juice I steamed last year in the closet. Shame on me for not labeling them. I will taste test them before using to determine identity.

The only fruit around here is from Chile. Oh wait, I may be in that classification. LOL!
smiley36.gif

tepe said:
The only fruit around here is from Chile. Oh wait, I may be in that classification. LOL!
smiley36.gif
</font>

Nah you're just nuts..............
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back