Bentonite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a kit or two that has a bentonite which is a cream color, regularly shapedand seems to dissolve more complelely, at least more so than the grey stuff which sometimes cakes like mud. Has anyone used the cream color bentonite? Do you know where it can be purchased in quantity? Thanks.

Mine is always like the mud except for the pellet like ones in Mosti kits

What kits did the bentonite that you like come in? The Vineco bentonite dissolves easily, but I don't remember it's colour.

Steve

Steve,

In the Mosti Mondiale kits the bentonite is a cream color and formed into very small pellets, perhaps1/32 to 1/16 inch long and about the diameter of 14 gauge wire. Putting them in warm water for about 5-10 minutes results in a fully dissolved mixture that works real well. The only bentonite that I have seen for sale is the grey-black granule type that clumps together and takes forever to dissolve.

Rocky:

Have you checked with a MM dealer to see if they sell their bentonite separately?

The bentonite from Vineco is not a cream colour, but I prefer it because it doesn't need to be re-hydrated before adding it to the must. The Vineco bentonite is available separately, at least from Canadian retailers.

Steve

Steve

Latest posts

Back