bentonite question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesngalveston

Reaction score
starting a 3 gallon test batch of pineapple made from juice.
have never used bentonite, but would like to try it with this juice.
what is the proper dosage,mix and addition to juice.
thanks for info....internet is not to specific on this topic..more less just says use.not how do....

starting a 3 gallon test batch of pineapple made from juice.
have never used bentonite, but would like to try it with this juice.
what is the proper dosage,mix and addition to juice.
thanks for info....internet is not to specific on this topic..more less just says use.not how do....
james...

From my time running a LHBS, I know that there are many bentonites (grades, styles, whatever). Each had a slightly different dosage.

So, if possible, go with the label recommendations of your specific bentonite.

Steve

Per Turock, when used in the primary, 1T mixed in 1/2 cup hot water. Stir thoroughly but no need to let it hydrate. Add on day 3. This is the dose for 5 gal.

I did this on a blackberry mead and in a month it is brilliantly clear. I'm convinced.

My package of it says to mix 4 teaspoons into 1.333 cups hot water for 5 gallons, but I add a little less. I add it in just before the yeast. So if I k-meta the must for a day or so, then I add it in the day I'm pitching the yeast. If I don't k-meta for a day, I just add it in with everything else. Good to get it in BEFORE the yeast so that the fermentation action bolsters the bentonite's effectiveness.

More or less, I agree with Stressbaby's post. I agree in terms of amount (1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons, which is about what I add myself), but the timing is up to how you're preparing your must. One way or another, just make sure you're getting it in there BEFORE the yeast.

Back