Bentonite Has Its Place

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahunaJR

Reaction score
OK, back into winemaking after a long hiatus so I decided to get my feet wet (bad pun) by doing a WE White Zinfandel. Started it yesterday and noticed directions called for a Bentonite pack. This was new to me and I didn't think too much about it.

Fermentation started about 4 hours after adding the yeast. Today I was kind of worried since there weren't any huge bubbles being produced, just tiny rolling ones up the side. Hmmm, did a check on Bentonite and am attributing the difference in fermentation activity to this addition. I was initially concerned about a 7.5 gal. primary fermenter bucket containing what I remembered as a "violent" primary fermentation. Now I know why the bucket works (I used to use a large plastic kitchen trash can with lots of room for expansion).

Finally, I went old school and used a piece of plastic to cover the bucket with some elastic to keep it in place. I didn't think an air tight lid with an air lock would contain the aggressive activity I remembered! I am certainly enjoying the journey again!

I always start with Bentonite. I dont do kits but Bentonite help break down protiens and helps yeast by giving it a nice enviroment to grow in. I use more of it than K meta

Usually all it takes to get a roaring ferment is to have the must too close to the top of the primary. If it realizes it can come over the top, it probably will. That is why we say to put the primary in a tray, pan, even a large garbage bag pulled up along the sides a bit. Saves a lot on cleanup, don't ask how I know. LOL, Arne.

mmadmikes1,

Correct me if I am wrong, but it was my understanding that bentonite is a clarifing agent. I though it was an insoluable mineral that (as it settles) pulls particulate matter down as it settles.

I have never heard of starting with bentonite before fermentation.

Could you please expand on your understanding of bentonite?

Thanks JDC, In reading this article, my understaning of bentonite was pretty close.

The article, however, did not mention anything about breaking down protiens or providing anything in the way of a good environment to yeast.

Using a bucket for the fist time and having experienced some aggressive fermenting, my primary fermenter is in a bathtub!

Overall, I believe fermentation is doing well. My only concern was based upon 35+ years ago when primary fermentation was very active/aggressive. Currently, the room is at 72-75 degrees. The bucket is active but not the huge bubbles, etc. that I remembered (that's why I played it safe and started it in the tub. The bubbles are pretty small and not foaming. My guess is that the Bentonite added keeps an unruly fermentation from happening.

Should I still be expecting more vigorous activity?

I always start my wines in the bathtub, mainly for ease of preliminary cleaning/sanitizing and later because I rack to a carboy sitting in the same tub. It's a lot easier to clean a steel tub and tile walls than carpet and paint! If nothing else when I start a kit wine, I usually get a little bit of splashing despite my best effort to avoid it - that concentrate is even harder to clean than red wine.

I also avoid using Bentonite except when I am intending to ferment and bottle relatively quickly, and not bulk-age. Most wine-from-grapes will have bentonite added later in the process if needed, not at the initial fermentation stage. Kits (all of them, in my experience), however, use it up-front.

I use it in the primaries of all my wines. Some have used it post fermentation to clear wine as well.

Got to agree with mmadmikes1 on this one, I use bentonite in the primary on just about all of my fruit wines.

Some info from Purdue U on Bentonite

Just remember don't over do it. When used in the primary you don't need to use as much because the fermentation cycles it to the top and bottom over and over.

Also, while the bentonite is part of the slow fermentation equation, the yeast still play a lot bigger part in how much foam you get.

Last edited:
I'll be honest. This will be the first wine I will not be bulk aging (26 yr old Beaujolais, 24 yr old Cabernet Sauvignon and 19 yr old Pinot Noir!!!!!!). I am following these directions to a "T". I wi probably adjust when I do m next kit. I am looking at doing a Nero d'Avola and want to make sure I can get as much out of it as possible!!!!

I'll be honest. This will be the first wine I will not be bulk aging (26 yr old Beaujolais, 24 yr old Cabernet Sauvignon and 19 yr old Pinot Noir!!!!!!). I am following these directions to a "T". I will probably adjust when I do my next kit. I am looking at doing a Nero d'Avola and want to make sure I can get as much out of it as possible!!!!

Joe

I apologize for the duplicate. Network issues at Buffalo Wild Wings.

Joe

Got to agree with mmadmikes1 on this one, I use bentonite in the primary on just about all of my fruit wines.

Just remember don't over do it. When used in the primary you don't need to use as much because the fermentation cycles it to the top and bottom over and over.

Also, while the bentonite is part of the slow fermentation equation, the yeast still play a lot bigger part in how much foam you get.

Thanks for the article. Very informative!
Never being into kits, I was unaware that they suggest to use bentonite prior to fermentation. I only knew it as a fining agent to be used prior to bottling. Very interesting!

I have done some comparisons, and have found that there is a difference between fruit wines with/without primary bentonite. Do you use anything else as a clearing agent after stabilization on your fruit wines? Have you ever tried a batch of fruit wine without bentonite in the primary? If so, what were the results? I have read the Purdue study before, and did not find it very informative for those wondering whether to use bentonite in the primary, or making fruit wines.

I am always looking to improve my wines, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The WE Cab Sauv kit I just started called for bentonite upfront as well...
It's been fairly quite primary fermentation. But I do remember the few beer batches I had done before completely overflowing the 7.5 gal buckets. I had to keep them in a shower for safety.

3 full days into fermentation and it has been very quiet but still active.

JR

Latest posts

Back