Bentonite Has Its Place

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 full days into fermentation and it has been very quiet but still active.

JR

Your fermentation rate depends on the wine temp, amount of sugar, and the type and brand of yeast used. Most yeast manufacturers have online charts telling the type of fermentation you can expect to see. Your best friend when gauging fermentation stage is your hydrometer.

Bentonite is such a wonderful multiple-use clay. They sell it down at my farm supply store in 50-pound bags to seal up the bottoms of leaky farm ponds, since it expands quite a bit once it gets wet. It is also used as "driller's mud" to seal the casings of wells as they are being drilled.

Bentonite is such a wonderful multiple-use clay. They sell it down at my farm supply store in 50-pound bags to seal up the bottoms of leaky farm ponds, since it expands quite a bit once it gets wet. It is also used as "driller's mud" to seal the casings of wells as they are being drilled.

Just be sure, if sourcing bentonite away from LHBS, that the bentonite is food-grade.

Just be sure, if sourcing bentonite away from LHBS, that the bentonite is food-grade.

Sara, I'm sorry, but can't help laughing. The first thing that started banging around between my ears when I read that was "Food grade dirt." Forgive me, but I had to say it. :i Arne.

Sara, I'm sorry, but can't help laughing. The first thing that started banging around between my ears when I read that was "Food grade dirt." Forgive me, but I had to say it. :i Arne.

I know what you mean...I wondered if anyone was going to say something BUT they do grade it.

I know what you mean...I wondered if anyone was going to say something BUT they do grade it.

Take your bentonite, spread it out on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven for an hour at 350 degrees. Tah-dah! "Food grade." :sm

They are using the stuff to line the casings of water wells, it can't be toxic. All it is is a type of clay. There may be different finenesses of grind, etc., but it's dirt.

Last edited:
I sell clay in my business, it is used to clear ponds and water gardens. I would not consider using it on wine though. But I might take another look at Jim's idea to bake it because I get it very cheap!
What I have is very fine the consistency of like flour - more powdered then what I bought at the LHBS

Wonder what the first guy was thinkin. I believe I'll just throw a little dirt in my wine. See what happens. Right along with "Think I'll throw some egg whites in my wine, see if the wine will preserve them." Like the song says, "WHat was I thinkin." Arne.

Wonder what the first guy was thinkin. I believe I'll just throw a little dirt in my wine. See what happens. Right along with "Think I'll throw some egg whites in my wine, see if the wine will preserve them." Like the song says, "WHat was I thinkin." Arne.

LOL! That ranks up there with the first person that ate an oyster. What kind of guy opens this strange shell creature, looks down and say "Wow, how pretty. I got to eat me some of that!"

Part of the grading process involves the testing for bacterial contamination and other potentially harmful contaminants. Just saying.

Part of the grading process involves the testing for bacterial contamination and other potentially harmful contaminants. Just saying.

I believe every bit of what you are saying, Sara. This just kinda tickled my funny bone. Arne.

Just an update... Checked SG today (after 5 days) and it reads 1.008 (after temp. adjustment). According to the WE directions, time to move onto Step 2 and move it into a secondary fermenter (once it fell below 1.010).

So, bottom line is I never experienced a foaming or extremely bubbly primary fermentation. It was very subdued but active. Never challenging the top of the bucket.

Was it the Bentonite or the yeast or the combination? Not really sure but I have been enjoying the articles and learning more every day!

Joe

And a 350 degree oven will take care of that, if you're concerned. In fact, it's overkill. Most bacteria die at under 140. If they are using it for driller's mud (and they are) for water wells, contaminants will be nil.

Fascinating read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentonite 6th graph under Uses is the winemaking use.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back