Bentonite and Sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwine

Junior
Reaction score
Ok I have stabilized my Plum wine and would like to clear it now with Bentonite, my question is should I wait before I sweeten it up or is it ok to add it at the same time? Will the bentonite take the sugar to the bottom of my carboy with it?

I would like you to clear with either super kleer or isinglass. Alot here use bentonite in the primary to help later.
What was your recipe and the timeing betwen steps

I would sweeten first then clear as sweetening a wine can cloud it up all over again sometimes. I agree as bentonite isnt the best fining agent. It does a good job with a protien haze and dropping out heavier solids but leaves a lot of the finier sediment behind. I use it in the beginning to help drop out the larger solids so as not to carry over all that much into the carboy so I can let that sit longer and compress more without worrying about the heavier solids going bad in carboy.

3 Gallon recipe

16 lbs – Plums
7 lbs – White Table Sugar
2 tsp – Acid Blend
3 tsp – Yeast Nutrient
2 tsp – Yeast Energizer
3 - Campden Tablets
1 - Red Star Cote de Blanc

Starting SG was 1.10 in primary. Racked into carboy 8 days later when SG was 1.00. 3 days later added Campden tablets and sorbate.

Little high on the starting sg but decent amount of fruit, may take a bot to smooth out with the higher abv but it will.

Back