Benefits of racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to convince Mr. Wonderful that we should rack our LE Malbec/Bonardo one more time. We are still newbies at the ole winemaking schtick, so I'm pretty much talking out the side of my neck. I believe that racking one more time (this would be the third racking, if we do it) will help with the clarity and overall quality of the wine (this is a Limited Edition, after all). Hubby thinks that what sediment is still in the bottom of the carboy will be left behind during bottling, and therefore additional racking is not necessary. What say you all?

I say rack it. Then leave it in the carboy for another month then rack it again. if there is no sediment at the bottom of the carboy after the month then go ahead and bottle it. If there is sediment, wait another month or so.
My wines typically stay in the carboy 6 to 8 months. If there is a hint of sediment on the bottom of the carboy it does not get botttled.

I would agree with you. However, I am having trouble explaining to Mr Wonderful the reasons why. Can you explain to me why it is better to go ahead and rack it one more time? Unfortunately, I don't have the experience or knowledge to explain to him the why.

I also agree with Phil
If you have sediment at the bottom of the carboy, you will also have it in your bottles. I will go for several racking with no trace of sediment prior to bottling.

I agree with all of the above and the reason is that no matter how careful you are, you will stir up some of the sediment when bottling and it will end up in the bottles. I always rack before bottling.

I have bottled wine early thinking its "clear" only to come back several months later to enjoy a bottle and WTF there is sediment in the bottom of the bottle. It looks bad when trying to gift a bottle or enjoying with a friend. I rack a minimum of 3 times and pretty much follow what was said above.

Tell Mr. WOnderful that most of us have done this we are here to make your product better. He can learn from our mistakes.

Agree with everyone else. Racking won't hurt (assuming you do it correctly). Its one way to really see if the wine is really done dropping lees. Sometimes you can't see the lees at all until you suck some into a bottle.

I say rack it (Rocky summed it up best).

Rack 2 or 3 weeks before you bottle. This way, you allow the most amount of time for your wine to produce sediment before you rack, while also allowing an appropriate amount of time for your wine settle before you bottle.

Sounds like Mr. Wonderful is thirsty... Sediment in carboy=sediment in bottle, no matter how careful you are...at least that was my experience on my first couple kits. I always rack until there is no visible sediment before bottling.

I agree with everyone here. If you can find sediment in the carboy you have no good way of knowing that particles are still not dropping out of the wine. I would rack every two or three months until there are no signs of any sediment and then when you bottle the risk of sediment falling out will be significantly less. But if you bottle when there is still sediment dropping out then the fact that the wine is labeled as a limited edition won't ensure that you won't find sediment in the bottom of your bottles ...

I filter usually on the 3rd and then leave for a month before bottling to make sure no sediment.My vote is for racking

Latest posts

Back