Behind the scenes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a neat. quick fix. I don't have any that old yet, and with any luck, I may get to try that sometime. If I don't drink them all first.

filterring

remember Lori this can happen to a white right after bottling! :rdo you think it's clear and then it's not?............................................:gb

Taking a wine out

lets go over this again your going out and you find that wine you pick up from the cellar has sediment or floats in it what to do? THIS IS ABOUT TEN MINUTES OF WORK AND YOUR OUT THE DOOR..............:try

CAN YOU SEE THE SEDIMENT THAT WAS COLLECTED AND YET THE WINE WAS STILL LIKE DRINKING RASPBERRY SHERBET......................................................NOT BAD FOR A 2006 VINTAGE

Quick Filtering (1).jpg

Quick Filtering (2).jpg

Quick Filtering (3).jpg

Quick Filtering (4).jpg

Quick Filtering (5).jpg

Quick Filtering (6).jpg

Quick Filtering (7).jpg

Quick Filtering (8).jpg

Quick Filtering (9).jpg

Quick Filtering (10).jpg

Last edited:
Hey, Joe, do you mind if I use this picture (and just this picture) at work? ;)
13970d1393171386-behind-scenes-quick-filtering-3-.jpg

label and bottle cleaning

this is one of those thankless jobs most of us do ,here's how I make it easy for me either with good music in the background a good glass of wine or both ,keep it fun and have patients..................................................only part 1

note; THE CONTAINER IS FILLED WITH HOT WATER TO A 3/4 LEVEL OR LESS,THE BOTTLES ARE FILL ABOUT 1/2 THE WAY THEN SUNK IN THE WATER MIXED WITH THE ONE STEP SO THAT THE BOTTLES CAN FILL PARTIALLY WITH THE CHEMICAL MIX ALSO AND LEFT TO SET FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS OR SO. WHEN I HAVE A GOOD HOUR I THEN SET UP AND GO AT IT USUALLY 24 BOTTLES TO A RUN ,THEN WE MOVE TO PHRASE 2

1 start with 22 gal tub.jpg

2 dirty bottles.jpg

3 remove foil.jpg

4 remove label if you can.jpg

5 see our pressure bottle washer.jpg

6 rinse.jpg

7 fill up bottles 3 quarters full with hot water.jpg

8 attach hose.jpg

10 get chemicals out.jpg

11 1 tsp per gallon.jpg

Last edited:
Katie

on Thursday evening Katie and OTHERS share work and wine TOGETHER IN are CO-OP WINE MAKING ,notice KATIE AT WORK,NOTICE TWO GLASSES OF OUR TASTINGS.........................:h.............GOOD WINE A LITTLE FOOD AND FELLOW WINE MAKERS MAKE A GREAT THURSDAY EVENING .

IMG_20140219_201143544.jpg

Picture of wines 2-8-14.jpg

20130404_195032.jpg

20130404_195048.jpg

20130530_192039 - Copy.jpg

20130530_193900 - Copy.jpg

20130424_190156.jpg

20130530_204716 - Copy.jpg

filling the bottles.jpg

taste before bottling (3).jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a good way to spend a Thursday evening. Much more fun than an AA meeting I bet. lol

moving forward

SOME MORE OF BEHIND THE SCENES :d WHAT WE DO IS HAVE FUN WITH THE CRAFT,TASTING AND EDITING OTHERS PEOPLES WINE,BOTTLING,LABELING AND ALL THAT APPLIES TO THE ART AND SCIENCE OF WINE MAKING WHILE ALWAYS KEEPING IT FUN AND INTERESTING,IF THERE IS SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT WHAT WE SHOW JUST ASK.....

Runningwolf's Ports.jpg

Danger Dave's Dragon blood.jpg

Eblasmn9's Port.jpg

Lori's Mezza Luna White.jpg

2007 Blackberry Pinot-Noir.jpg

Tuscon's Wine.jpg

20130404_195038.jpg

20130404_195032.jpg

20140109_182210.jpg

20140109_183803.jpg

Last edited:
Wine world

THEY ALL HAVE THERE OWN CHARASTICS AND ARE ALL WORTHY OF A GOOD MEAL AND GOOD CONVERSATION,AS FOR LORI'S SHE HAS HER PROCESS DOWN AND HER WORK HABITS ARE SPOT ON,TUSCON'S WAS VERY NICE WITH TIME IN A BOTTLE IT WILL MATURE OUT TO BE EXCELLENT,THESE ARE A FEW OF THE 75 WINES I HAVE RECEIVED AND WITH OUT DOUGHT THE MASTERS ON THIS SITE ARE SOME OF THE BEST..................................................:db

WHY WE GOT STARTED......:slp
"When Good Wines Gone Bad" was developed with the intent to help the average winemaker with defects in his or her wine. It sounds easy but not always so. I’m inviting you to come with us and take a step back in time, to go over some of the wines I have in my possession. Some of them have lost their flavor but have good alcohol, while some of them have good flavor but not clear. We’re going to go over and make corrections to these wines in written and pictorial format so that you can see how to correct these problems. We will discuss what tools you need in your toolbox and determining if the wine is correctable. Sometimes you just have to say, "Not my quality of wine!" and trash it!
So stay with Kate and I, and you will see firsthand what you can and cannot do to make "A Good Wine That’s Gone Bad".

FROM BOTTLE WASHING TO ZESTING AND FPACS,TWEAKING A KIT OR JUICE TO A FULL LAYEDOUT KIT PROCESS

2 dirty bottles.jpg

5 see our pressure bottle washer.jpg

8 attach hose.jpg

11 1 tsp per gallon.jpg

13 take SG reading.jpg

P1030031.jpg

20140109_182210.jpg

20140109_183803.jpg

P1030101.jpg

P1030104.jpg

Last edited:
Tricks of the trade

:u GO BACK AND REVIEW THE NEAT THINGS WE CAN DO AS WINE MAKERS IF WE THINK OUT SIDE THE BOX................:tz........:db.............

Blackberry Pinot Noir
We purchased a medium grade kit (~$80-$90) Pinot Noir Winexpert Kit. We wanted Blackberry Pinot Noir so we purchased 1.5 lbs. of blackberries to go with this.

The Winexpert box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· 1 Pack of Redstar Champagne Yeast
· 2 Chaptalisation Packs (bags of sugar)
· Package #2 (bentonite)
· Package #3 (Metabisulphite)
· Package #4 (Sorbate)
· Package #5 (Chitosan-(Fining Agent)
· Mesh Straining Bag
· 1 package of oak chips
Just for reference, I’m sure everyone knows by now if they have been following the posts, that you will need certain equipment to make this kit. For the newbies, I’m going to put it below so you know what you need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (6 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend Onestep or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
· 30 wine bottles, thirty corks , thirty seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an Italian floor corker.)
The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself. J
· Add half gallon of warm water to the primary fermenting bucket with the bentonite packet and stir until dissolved.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse out the bag with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· Top up your bucket until you reach a 6 gallons. (I marked my primary before hand so I know where 6 gallons are.)
· Now, we took our SG reading and it was 1.08. We added simple syrup to bring the SG up to 1.10. Our logic is: We wanted at least 12% alc. At the finish because we know the blackberries are going to pick up the flavor at the bottom end. (The blackberries will overpower the flavor if we didn’t have a higher alch. Content. It would just be juice with not much alch.. This is how we do it, I’m sure others have their own opinion.)
· Next, we added ½ tsp of oak tannin.
· Then we added the oak chips and prinkled yeast on top of that. Don’t stir, just let it sit.
· Then here comes the blackberry. We created a homemade F-pak out of blackberries. (We are going to write up a separate tutorial for this.) Note: an F-pack doesn’t always have to go at the end of the wine, you can add them to the beginning. An F-pack in the beginning will blend well with the wine but will not usually over-power the taste of the wine. If you add it at the end, the predominant taste of your wine will be the F-pak.
· We added the the F-pak to a mesh bag and tied it in a knot then added it to the primary.
· We added bellie-bands because it’s chilly in the winter. It’s about 64 degrees in here. After that, I hung my tag on the side, put a towel on top. And we wait. :h

1 blackberry Pinot Noir Ingridients.jpg

2 bentonite.jpg

3 add juice.jpg

3 rinse bag.jpg

4 makes 6 gals.jpg

5 Oak.jpg

6 yeast.jpg

7 Add Fpack.jpg

BLACKBERRY F-PAK

To continue the above post: the last picture shows us adding the homemade F-pak to the fermentation bucket. For those of you who do not know how to make your own F-Pak, we are going to explain it here.

First gather your ingredients (Decide what type of F-pak you want and go buy the stuff!)
We made a blackberry F-pak so we purchased approx. 1.5 lbs of blackberries.
1.5 cup of red wine

Please note: We added no water to this f-pak.

1. First, add your blackberries to a strainer and rinse them.

2. Next, add to a non-stick pan (you need non-stick so you don't burn the berries)

3. To the berries, we added about 1/2 cup of Cabernet Sauvignon (because that was what we were drinking at the time. Any dark red works well.) We put the lid on the pan for a few minutes to give the berry juice time time to start condensing their juice in the pan. The lid keeps the moisture in.

4. As the berries started to simmer we started smashing them down gently. (don't totally mash them all the way.. Just try to smoosh them to release some juice.)

5. The berries will start to lighten in color after a few minutes. Keep them simmering until completely soft.

6. Now. Turn the stove off and let them cool. *IMPORTANT* You don't want to add them hot to the wine kit..

7. Once cooled, add to a mesh bag and close the top by either pulling the strings tight and tying (if it has strings) or simply tie in a knot.

8. Then, we put it in our primary once it was completely cooled.

1 rinse berries.jpg

2 add to the pan.jpg

3 add juice.jpg

4 change colors.jpg

5 add a lid for a few mins.jpg

6 change colors and smoosh.jpg

7 more cooked down.jpg

8 finished f pak.jpg

9  Add to bag.jpg

Last edited:
Friends and wine

for those of you who don't no this is

tom Hildebrand,tom is a good wine maker and a moderator ON this forum he is a behind the scenes Guy YOU DON'T HEAR TO MUCH FROM HIM BUT HE'S THEIR,as of late tom has been ill but thought it all the wine and beer making has keep tom busy and stable,here we are in his basement bottling Chilean caramare, Cabernet,and PINO NIOR,he filled and i bottled,you fine that friendships will endure through hard and trying times, though this hobby,this is my friend and moderator as you may no him by as, tom

IMG_20140408_111221087.jpg

IMG_20140408_111223921.jpg

IMG_20140408_111231579_HDR - Copy (4).jpg

IMG_20140408_111238421 - Copy (3).jpg

Latest posts

Back