Behind the scenes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheap kits

the approach isn't to add by re hydrated fruit at this point==== it's to capitalize the wine straight up and promote a stronger background for what ever else we want to achieve in the finish product the second part could be a off shout of your thoughts, got it??:br

Thanks Joe, I was thinking of using the dried fruits as a capitalization method. Something akin to the WE G-Pack (skins, seeds and extra sugar). If adding dried fruit to the "secondary" would you choke back on the initial target SG of 1.110? I do like my wines higher in ABV but that seems like a lot of extra sugar

BC

% to total???????????

starting sg should be 1.10 look at your hydrometer what is the final expected abv? With the added elements and time some this should balance out and always does when adding an additional fpac and flavor elements it balances out at least for me....with that balance having a hot wine is not my style.

Not to be nit picking here but isn't the word "chapitalization", not capitalization?

Simple syrup

whether your adding it in the beginning to capitalize the wine or back sweetening knowing when and how and what the results should be is all about a learning curve. Learning to use the hydrometer is very important to a wine maker all during the wine making event.

Capitalization is the process of adding sugar to unfermented grape must in order to increase the alcohol content after fermentation.

Back sweetening, is a process that we use to increase the sweetness in the wine after it is finished this combined with the metabolic sulfate potassium sorbate.

the same principles apply to fpacs, some go into the secondary and the you can also use them to compliment the primary it's knowing what you want the wine to be like at the finish as to when to add fruit or other additives.

NOTE. 1 QUART OF SUGAR WILL RAISE THE SG 1FULL %

20130516_190830.jpg

20130516_193423.jpg

8 add simple syrup.jpg

7 first SG reading.jpg

1 rinse berries.jpg

4 change colors.jpg

5 add a lid for a few mins.jpg

8 finished f pak.jpg

9  Add to bag.jpg

Last edited:
My space

THIS IS MY WORK SPACE AND MY HAVEN....:hug

A TOAST TO ALL THE FINE WINE MAKERS ON THIS FORUM :f1

20130404_195032.jpg

20130404_195038.jpg

20130404_195048.jpg

20130404_195056.jpg

20130424_190156.jpg

Last edited:
lol Joe your carboys resemble mine. (they have all different colored towels over them) And as always GOOD INFO! Thanks!

Joe, what happened to your buret in the picture showing the SG? Do we have to chip in to get you a new one???:h

Repairs requires????/?

YES I GUESS I NEED A NEW ONE BUT THIS ONES PLASTIC AND I HATE TO TOSS IT, BUT A COLLECTION WOULD BE APPRECIATED:se

5 SG reading.jpg

Party wines

LOUNGE WINE KITS ARE NOW EXTINCT??/THESE ARE EASY AND VERY TASTY FOR THOSE WHO LIKE A COCKTAIL THESE ARE GREAT BUT WITH A WINE BASE IN A LOUNGE COCKTAIL STYLE.:HB FOLLOW THE FLOW,,:wy,,EVEN THO THEY ARE GONE I HAVE THREE TO MAKE AND MY WIFE AND HER RIDING GIRLS LOVE IT,FOLLOW.:HB

1 the kit.jpg

2 all the ingredients.jpg

3 ingredients.jpg

4 empty large bag.jpg

5 top up to 3 gals.jpg

6 take SG.jpg

7 stir in bentonite.jpg

8 yeast.jpg

Finished Product Cosmo.jpg

Kate's chardenay in review

FOLLOW THE REVIEW WE WILL BE RACKING THIS KIT THIS THURSDAY AND BOTTLING NEXT WEEK PICS TO FOLLOW;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;:wy

1 contents.jpg

2 box.jpg

3 bentonite.jpg

4 add juice.jpg

5 rinse bag.jpg

6 top up to 6 gal.jpg

7 first SG reading.jpg

8 add simple syrup.jpg

9 second SG reading.jpg

10 instructions SG reading.jpg

Chardonnay continues

FOLLOW THE PROCESS..............:se
Cornocopia Chardonnay Kit​
This kit we purchased off Amazon for ~$45.00 shipped. This kit is contained the chardonnay concentrate, as well as labels, corks, caps, packets of yeast, sorbate, bentonite, k-met, and chitosan. This kit contains the essentials for any new winemaker (minus the basic equipment that is needed.)
What we added:
1 cup American Oak cubes
2 ball jars of simple syrup
Spring Water
The steps:
First, we added the bentonite and ½ gal. warm water and stirred until dissolved.
Next, we added the packet of chardonnay juice and then topped up to 6 gallon mark on our primary fermenter.
Then, we took an SG reading. The kit as is, came to 1.080. We wanted our SG reading to be at 1.10, so we added the ball jars of simple syrup, one at a time (and took readings in between). We ended up using both jars and this brought us up to our desired SG reading: 1.10. We wanted this specific SG reading because we do not want fermented fruit juice, we wanted wine.
Next, we gave the bucket a good stir, added the yeast, and then added our American Oak cubes.
The last step: We document the contents on our tag, hang it on the bucket, and drape a towel over the top. Now we wait.
Update!!
We checked the SG tonight (6/20/14) and it is at 0.99. This is dry and ready to rack to the secondary carboy. We racked it to our secondary, marked the SG reading and the date on our tag and hung it on the carboy.
Our wine is coming along!
Stay tuned... :)
Cornocopia Chardonnay Kit​

11 yeast.jpg

12 cup american oak cubes.jpg

13 American Oak cubes.jpg

14 tag.jpg

15 Stabilized and adding clearing second time.jpg

IMG_20140716_161111665.jpg

IMG_20140716_161116423.jpg

Last edited:
Did you put zest in there? It looks like it, but I didn't notice that in your write up.

Chardenay

I BELIEVE WE STATED IN THE BEGINNING THE INTENT WAS TO ADD GRAPEFRUIT ZEST AT SOME POINT ,I WRITE SOME MUCH SOMETIMES THE PICS ARE AHEAD OF THE VERBIAGE.:db:ft:tz:h:db:b:tz:r:spm:db:tz:ft:D

simple syrup

making simple syrup one of the best friend a winemaker has. Follow:br the process...................................

20130516_190505.jpg

20130516_190830.jpg

20130516_191107.jpg

20130516_191122.jpg

20130516_192745.jpg

20130516_193258.jpg

20130516_193421.jpg

20130516_193521.jpg

20130516_193604.jpg

Last edited:
Black berry kit continued

FOLLOW THE FLOW,EASY AND QUICK :HB
Vino Italian Blackberry Zinfandel Kit​
This kit we purchased off Amazon for ~$45.00 shipped. This kit is contained the Zinfandel juice, a blackberry F-pak, labels, corks, caps, packets of yeast, sorbate, bentonite, k-met, and chitosan. This kit contains the essentials for any new winemaker (minus the basic equipment that is needed.)
What we added:
2 ball jars of simple syrup (each ball jar will bring the SG up .01%)

Spring Water
**Oak Tannin** Note: We will add this in the secondary, not primary
The steps:
First, we added the bentonite and ½ gal. warm water and stirred until dissolved.
Next, we added the packet of Zinfandel juice and then topped up to 6 gallon mark on our primary fermenter.
Then, we took an SG reading. The kit as is, came to 1.070. We wanted our SG reading to be at 1.10, so we added the ball jars of simple syrup, one at a time (and took readings in between). We ended up using both jars and this brought us up to our desired SG reading: 1.09. We wanted this specific SG reading because 1. We like nice alcohol in our wine and 2. We wanted it to be well balanced. This kit contains an F-pak so the higher alch. Will balance it out- it won’t be too sweet .
Next, we gave the bucket a good stir and added the yeast.
The last step: We document the contents on our tag, hang it on the bucket, and drape a towel over the top. Now we wait.
Update!!
We checked the SG tonight (6/20/14) and it is at 0.98. This is dry and ready to rack to the secondary carboy. We racked it to our secondary, marked the SG reading and the date on our tag and hung it on the carboy.
Our wine is coming along!
Stay tuned... :)THE PICTURES DON'T SHOW US ADDING THE FPAC BUT IT HAPPENED,IF YOU WANT A QUICK WINE MAKING ABILITY THEN THIS IS THE WAY TO GO AND WITH A LITTLE PLANNING AND THOUGHT YOU CAN TWEAK THESE UNITS AND MAKE THEM MORE THEN THEY ARE.

2 kit box.jpg

1 contents.jpg

3. bentonite.jpg

4 juice.jpg

5 SG reading.jpg

6 simple syrup.jpg

7 second SG reading.jpg

8 yeast.jpg

20140710_203822.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back