Behind the scenes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the good word Joeswine.

We had fun. I found out when you bottle with a friend things go smoother
See you next week to bottle 5 of 10 more carboys of the 10 left
B T W nice pictures..

Tom thanks for all you have done here. If I lived several hundred miles closer I'd love to help with that bottling. Joeswine you are exemplary. Cheers to you both.

they all look yummy but I bet pass time is excellent!

THEY ALL HAVE THERE OWN CHARASTICS AND ARE ALL WORTHY OF A GOOD MEAL AND GOOD CONVERSATION,AS FOR LORI'S SHE HAS HER PROCESS DOWN AND HER WORK HABITS ARE SPOT ON,TUSCON'S WAS VERY NICE WITH TIME IN A BOTTLE IT WILL MATURE OUT TO BE EXCELLENT,THESE ARE A FEW OF THE 75 WINES I HAVE RECEIVED AND WITH OUT DOUGHT THE MASTERS ON THIS SITE ARE SOME OF THE BEST..................................................:db

I don't know how I missed this post last month. Y'all are very sweet. That goes a long way in growing my newbie confidence level to almost a real wine maker. ;)

Tom's week two

Today we did the california cab,valpolicella,red zin and pino noir,and lambrusco,not bad for two old guys, in 2.5 hrs.,NOW THEIR ARE SIX LEFT....

IMG_20140408_111221087.jpg

IMG_20140408_111231579_HDR - Copy (4).jpg

I don't know how I missed this post last month. Y'all are very sweet. That goes a long way in growing my newbie confidence level to almost a real wine maker. ;)

lol Lori In my mind Joe is the king of tweaks, rocky is the queen of tweaks
and you are the princess of tweaks, you three have me trying new things with a good outcome!:db I may sway a lil here and there but it's a learning experience!

kentucky english

I thought we could take a side step and I would show you my girl of 37 years and her friends and her son the blond hair guy called ,Napoleon,nappy for short, also are hers friends they went on a 5 day trip to Kentucky to the national equestrian event (English style) riding and got a privet tour of a sheiks stable, it was a chance of a life time for her and her buds,women and their horses are not to be parted.
in the last picture the one in the lite blue top is her, Lucille.:i picture # two is her also....she is proud of her boy

Napoleon20010.jpg

Napolian0004.jpg

Napoleon20014.jpg

DCP_1271.jpg

DCP_1249.jpg

DCP_1225.jpg

DCP_1324.jpg

DCP_1259.jpg

DCP_1257.jpg

DCP_1347.jpg

Last edited:
Kentucky riding

THE PICTURES BELOW ARE FROM KENTUCKY MY GIRL OF 37 YEARS AND 3 OF HER FRIENDS WENT TO THE ENGISH WORLD DRESSAGE CHAMPIONSHIPS,THOUGH YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOMETHING SIDEWAYS OF WINE THE 2 PIC,IS HER AND HER BOY,NEPOLIAN,NAPPY FOR SHORT,HE'S THE BLOND ONE:d...WHO ELSE RIDES OUT THERE?

AFTER THIS COMPETITION CAN THE OLYMPICS..DID YOU NOTICE THE CROSS COUNTRY HAPPENING ?

DCP_1234.jpg

DCP_1231.jpg

DCP_1238 - Copy.jpg

DCP_1249.jpg

DCP_1256.jpg

DCP_1259.jpg

DCP_1262.jpg

DCP_1265.jpg

DCP_1279.jpg

DCP_1292.jpg

Your 'girl' and her horse are both beautiful. It looks like it was really nice day to be out riding and competing. I don't know anything about riding, but it looks like she sure does.

Coffee port

THIS IS A GREAT PORT STYLE WINE KIT WITH THE RIGHT TWEAKS IT'S ATRUE WINNER...FOLLOW THE PROCESS..............:spm
Cru Coffee Port Kit
The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· 2 packs of Lavin EC-1118
· 1 Coffee Port F-Pack ( NOTICE THE INSTANT COFFEE) THIS IS A KEY ELEMENT TO THE OVERALL FINAL TASTE AND TEXTURE TO THIS KIT.
· Package of bentonite
· Package of Metabisulphite
· Package of Potassium Sorbate
· Package of each Chitosan-D2 and kiesesol-D1(Fining Agents)

Our additions:
· Oak Tannin (Tannic Acid)
· Instant Coffee THREE KEY ELEMENTS IN MAKING THIS KIT EXCEPITIONAL
· Spring Water

Tools you will need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (3 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend One-step or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
· 15 wine bottles, 15 corks , 15 seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an Italian floor corker.)

The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· We have our bucket measured to 3 gallons. The kit didn’t quite come to 3 gallons so we topped up until we reach 3 gallons.
· Add the bentonite and give it a good stir.
· Then add the oak tannin, stir, and then take your SG reading. It should read 1.10. BOOSTING THE SG AT THE START WAS A MUST..... 1.10 ....IF NOT THE KIT IS TWO SWEET
· We then took a PH test and it read 4.0. Typically, it should be around 3.5.
· Finally, we pitched the yeast, made up a tag, and covered it up to rest. PH IS TELLING YOU WHERE YOUR AT AFTER ADDING THE TANNINS FOR BALANCE AND TEXTURE

After it ferments dry: (Approx. 2 weeks)
  • After it fermented dry (SG: 0.98) we racked it into our secondary, 3 gallon fermentation carboy.
  • We had to take out approx. 1.5 wine bottles of wine out of the carboy so that we will have room for the coffee F-pack. We set that aside with an air-lock. If when we rack the wine again and we come up short and have extra air-space, we will add it.
  • We checked the ph of the wine and it is at 3.5 which is perfect for this type of port.
  • We added the sorbate, K-met packet, and gave it a good stir.
  • Next, we added packet #1 (of the 2 packet combination) of Kieselsol and set our time for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, we add packet #2 of Kieselsol and stirred again. (Learning tip: The reason for the 5 minute wait time is you are waiting for the molecules from packet #1 to bind to certain molecules in the wine. The second packet will bind to the molecules in the first packet and then the clearing process starts. (Positive and negative particles will attract, become heavy, and fall to the bottom of the carboy, taking the sediment with it.)
  • Next, we added the Coffee F-Pak. Note: Not all of the F pack fit into my 3-gallon carboy. I should have taken out possibly 2 bottles of extra wine instead of 1.5. I put the extra F-pak in the refrigerator. When I rack this again to a final mixing bucket I will add everything to the bucket and give it a good stir.

1 Ingridients.jpg

2 open bag.jpg

4 rinse bag and add to bucket.jpg

5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg

6 bentonite.jpg

7 add tannin.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 ph reading.jpg

10 Ph test.jpg

Last edited:
Coffee port

THE PROCESS CONTINUES....FOLLOW...........:spm

FINAL RACKING AND A LITTLE TIME AS WELL AS CHEMS AND THE FINISH PRODUCT IS READY IN 8 WEEKS ,,BETTER LATER

10 Ph test.jpg

11 pitch yeast.jpg

Caramel or Port Racking (2).jpg

IMG_20140330_113456384_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Zesting in the beginning

ZESTING A FUN TIME.............................:db

P1030101.jpg

Last edited:
Zesting in the beginning

LETS PLAY..............................:f2Let's make a Cello! IMAGINE THE FLAVORS!
We are only making 2 bottles of lemoncello so that we can show you the process we use.
What you will need:
2 wine 375 wine bottles
mixing vessel (we used a clear pitcher)
wooden spoon
funnel
everclear lemon extract (we made this about month ago and stored in a Ball jar)
simple syrup (made with dissolved cane sugar)

Process:
First, we filled both of the 375ml wine bottles 3/4 the way full with simple syrup, this gives us our volume. We then dumped this into the pitcher.
Next, we filled each of the (2) 375ml wine bottles 1/2 way full of the lemon extract. Then dumped this into the pitcher.
Stir well. (you will see that it seperates because the simple syrup is heavier than the alcohol/extract.)
Once we tasted it and found that it tasted fine as is, we added 2-3 drops of yellow food coloring and gave it another stir. (Some people may ask why add food coloring, we added it to make it more eye appealing. Most commercial lemoncellos do some some type of coloring in them.)
Then we filled the 375ml bottles and corked them. We had enough left over for a shot each to cheer our victory!

1 Bar Jars.jpg

2 fill both jars with syrup.jpg

3 Add to mixing vessel.jpg

4 fill both with extract.jpg

5 Add to mixingvegges.jpg

6 it will seperate.jpg

7 Stir well.jpg

8 add 2-3 drops yellow food dye.jpg

9 final stir.jpg

10 bottled.jpg

Last edited:
Coffee port

a thoroughbred in the sweet port category,this recipe is a first place winner. Follow..............:mny notice the additions that's the winning difference............

Cru Coffee Port Kit

The box includes the following:
·Large bag of juice
·2 packs of Lavin EC-1118
·1 Coffee Port F-Pack
·Package of bentonite
·Package of Metabisulphite
·Package of Potassium Sorbate
·Package of each Chitosan-D2 and kiesesol-D1(Fining Agents)

Our additions:
·Oak Tannin (Tannic Acid)
·Instant Coffee and some coffee beans
·Spring Water

Tools you will need:
·Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Liters/7.9 US gallons capacity)
·Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
·Measuring cup
·Hydrometer and test jar
·Thermometer
·Wine thief
·Siphon rod and hose
·Carboy (3 US gallon capacity)
·Bung and Air lock
·Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
·Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend One-step or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
·Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
·15 wine bottles, 15 corks , 15 seals
·Corking machine (there are various types, we use an Italian floor corker.)

The Process:
·As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself.
·Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
·We have our bucket measured to 3 gallons. The kit didn’t quite come to 3 gallons so we topped up until we reach 3 gallons.
·Add the bentonite and give it a good stir.
·Then add the oak tannin, stir, and then take your SG reading. It should read 1.10.
·We then took a PH test and it read 4.0. Typically, it should be around 3.5.
·Finally, we pitched the yeast, made up a tag, and covered it up to rest.

After it ferments dry: (Approx. 2 weeks)
  • After it fermented dry (SG: 0.98) we racked it into our secondary, 3 gallon fermentation carboy.
  • We had to take out approx. 1.5 wine bottles of wine out of the carboy so that we will have room for the coffee F-pack.We set that aside with an air-lock. If when we rack the wine again and we come up short and have extra air-space, we will add it.
  • We checked the ph of the wine and it is at 3.5 which is perfect for this type of port.
  • We added the sorbate, K-met packet, and gave it a good stir.
  • Next, we added packet #1 (of the 2 packet combination) of Kieselsol and set our time for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, we add packet #2 of Kieselsol and stirred again. (Learning tip: The reason for the 5 minute wait time is you are waiting for the molecules from packet #1 to bind to certain molecules in the wine. The second packet will bind to the molecules in the first packet and then the clearing process starts. (Positive and negative particles will attract, become heavy, and fall to the bottom of the carboy, taking the sediment with it.)
  • Next, we added the Coffee F-Pak. Note: Not all of the F pack fit into my 3-gallon carboy. I should have taken out possibly 2 bottles of extra wine instead of 1.5. I put the extra F-pak in the refrigerator. When I rack this again to a final mixing bucket I will add everything to the bucket and give it a good stir.

1 Ingridients.jpg

2 open bag.jpg

3 dump bag in.jpg

4 rinse bag and add to bucket.jpg

5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg

6 bentonite.jpg

7 add tannin.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 ph reading.jpg

11 pitch yeast.jpg

Last edited:
Zesting

zesting for fun ,basic ingredients........

extracts,simple syrup and ACHOLO of some type...............

1 Bar Jars.jpg

10 bottled.jpg

Last edited:
Tools in the tool box

Capitalization, is the process of adding sugar fermented grape must in order to increase the Apple content after fermentation. The technique was developed by the French chemist John Claude CHAPEL, from whom was named. Contrary to popular belief, this process does not make the wines sweeter but only artificially inflates the alcohol content. Actually, the sugar in capitalized wine cannot be taken tasted.

Potassium metabolic sulfite, is a common wine or must additive, where it forms sulfur dioxide gas. This both prevents most while microorganisms from growing, and it acts as a potent antioxidant, protecting both the color, and delicate flavors of wine.

Typically dosage is 1/4 teaspoon potassium metabolic sulfate per 6 gallon bucket of must prior to fermentation and a half a teaspoon per 6 gallon bucket at bottling

Winemaking equipment is sanitized by spraying with 1% potassium metabolic sulfite solution or 2 tablespoons.

Potassium sorbate is used to inhibit molds, and yeast in morning. Also known affectionately as wine stabilizer potassium sorbate produces sorbate acid when added to the wine. It serves two purposes. When after fermentation has ceased and the wind is rack for final time after clearing, potassium sorbate will render any surviving yeast in cable ball multiplying. Yeast living at that moment can continue fermenting any residual sugar into CO2 and alcohol, but when they die no new yeast will be present residence to cause future fermentation. When I wine is swinging before bottling, potassium sorbate is used to prevent free fermentation when used in conjunction with potassium metabolic sulfide. It is primarily used with sweet wines, sparkling wines, and some hard siders may be added to table wines which exhibit difficulty in maintaining clarity and finding.

Understanding these tools are, Paramount in the winemaking process.....:pic

kicking up a kit

my view on inexpensive kits and how to improve them, remember this is my way ,your out come my vary. Or not?

1 contents.jpg

2 box.jpg

3 bentonite.jpg

4 add juice.jpg

5 rinse bag.jpg

6 top up to 6 gal.jpg

7 first SG reading.jpg

8 add simple syrup.jpg

9 second SG reading.jpg

10 instructions SG reading.jpg

Last edited:
Chardonnay continues

chardonnay continued,,,,this is the basic start of a journey that will make this kit a real wine kit.
Cornocopia Chardonnay Kit​
This kit we purchased off Amazon for ~$45.00 shipped. This kit is contained the chardonnay concentrate, as well as labels, corks, caps, packets of yeast, sorbate, bentonite, k-met, and chitosan. This kit contains the essentials for any new winemaker (minus the basic equipment that is needed.)
What we added:
1 cup American Oak cubes
2 ball jars of simple syrup
Spring Water
The steps:
First, we added the bentonite and ½ gal. warm water and stirred until dissolved.
Next, we added the packet of chardonnay juice and then topped up to 6 gallon mark on our primary fermenter.
Then, we took an SG reading. The kit as is, came to 1.080. We wanted our SG reading to be at 1.10, so we added the ball jars of simple syrup, one at a time (and took readings in between). We ended up using both jars and this brought us up to our desired SG reading: 1.10. We wanted this specific SG reading because we do not want fermented fruit juice, we wanted wine.
Next, we gave the bucket a good stir, added the yeast, and then added our American Oak cubes.
The last step: We document the contents on our tag, hang it on the bucket, and drape a towel over the top. Now we wait.

11 yeast.jpg

12 cup american oak cubes.jpg

13 American Oak cubes.jpg

14 tag.jpg

Last edited:
Looks fantastic Joe, I really like where you're going with this one. I can see myself substituting golden raisins or chopped dried apricots for the simple syrup. Cantaloupe? Mango? Might have to route toward a Viognier direction with the chard base. Thanks for the inspiration. :HB

BC

Latest posts

Back