Beginner that needs help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have taken an interest in starting to make my own wines. I have been to many vineyards, and particularly enjoy more dry red wines. I don't like sweet wines in particular. If there is anybody who can help point me in the right direction, I need some help getting started.

What i want to know is, what are the most difficult RED wines to make? I particularly like the cabernet franc and syrah wines. Are these really hard wines to make? I want to eventually start growing these vines for myself, but have decided to start making the wines for myself first to find out if I really would enjoy making the wines, or even if I'm any good at it. I would prefer to make everything by scratch for myself, and NOT use any kits. I want to get into the nitty gritties of it first hand. Otherwise, I will never know whether or not to get serious with wine making. My long term goal is to have a 5 acre field making various wines. But, I want to start by making red wines first (as I said in particular, cabernet blanc and syrah wines).

Anybody up for helping a beginner? One thing you should know about me, is I am a very determined person. So, I am ready to make mistakes and to learn. But, I'm not ready to spend thousands of dollars just yet. Help please?

You are going to have to spend some good money then right off the bat to get going, are you prepared for that? Where are you located as some grapes dont grow well in certain areas! You will also have to find a source of wine grapes to do this and thats in season right now so you will have to rush out and get all this now. We would love to help you but a juice bucket would make things much easier to start off with.

You want to grow grapes and make great wine, a location would help.

I want that as well but I live at 7000ft so I don't think its going to happen.......

I agree with Wade. Starting with juice will help you understand the process, and why you do the things you do, and in the order you do them.

I did 3 kits, and now have moved to fruit, and I am glad I did it in the order I did. But it's up to you!!!

If you start with fruit, I would suggest doing small batches to start, if ya screw one up, it won't be such a big deal. And if you have success with one, you can duplicate it on a larger scale.

Guitarfreek, you have to be able to crawl before you walk. If you aren't ready to spend thousand of dollars, and you want to learn the nitty gritty of winemaking, or learn if you are even good at it, definitely start with a fruit wine or kit.
1) you will learn about wine making and the process
2) you won't be out alot of money
3) you will learn patience, be educated and probably will be good at it.
smiley4.gif

Welcome to the forum.
Like others have said don't discount kits. You can make an excellent wine from kits, especially if you use the one with grape skins in them and you have the ability to make wines from around the world.
Now that being said and not knowing where you live, starting off with a fruit wine is also a way to learn the process. First do some research (or better yet call George) and pick up all the equipment & chemicals you need, find a recipe, get the fruit and have fun. If you really want to try this and not invest a lot, start small with a gallon batch. Just remember it will take just as long as a larger batch to be ready to drink, but its a great way to learn and as you get further into this hobby you'll find that those 1 gallon jugs are nice to have around.
Another good reason to start with fruit or kits is it will give you a chance to locate a source for your grapes and once you plant the vines they will need a few years before you get grapes. So this will give you a chance to learn the process while you are gathering information for the next step.
VC

Thank-you everybody for your input. I guess should need to start with a small kit though I don't really want to, but I can see how it would be beneficial to start by getting the equipment I need. I live in south central Virginia where the climate is ideal for most grape vines. Our winters seldom drop below 20 degrees F in the night. Which vines do you all recomend that I start with? I would prefer to grow grapes that would produce a dry red wine atleast...

I would start with a Mosti Renascence kit. I have made the Amarone with raisins and it is really, really good. When choosing any red kit look for those with grape skins or raisins to give a fuller body wine. Don't forget that aging is just as important with a kit wine as if you were working with grapes. While you are investigating what grapes you want to grow visit local wineries and talk to the winemaker, that will help you choose the best grapes for your area. Also gives you a chance to taste wines made from local grapes & fruit.
VC

Latest posts

Back