Beer kegs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
Has anyone thought or has tried using a 30 gallon beer keg for aging wine. Not sure if the opening would hold a bung or not, if you could pick one up for 50.00 it would be a cheap alternative for stainless steel

30 gallon? Ive never seen one. If you mean 3 gallon or one of those sizes near there then yes its been done many times, never by myself though so I cant help you as far as bungs go.

Rob I use 5 gallon pop kegs(corney) and they work greatI can bleed off the air by using co2 to purge100% protection from O2

Have a friend that takes the guts from a beer barrel & uses that to hold his wine. I believe they take a size 11 bung. There are instructions on the web on removing the guts depending which kind of beer barrell you have.

Al

30 gallon? Ive never seen one. If you mean 3 gallon or one of those sizes near there then yes its been done many times, never by myself though so I cant help you as far as bungs go.

I spent some time in the "beer business" and there is a 31 gallon variety barrel (a full barrel, about 305 lbs.), a 15.5 gallon variety (half barrel, about 150 lbs.) and a 7.75 gallon barrel (a quarter barrel, about 75 lbs.). Weights are full of beer! I worked for a distributor of Duquesne Beer long ago and let me tell you, those 31 gallon barrels were a bear to handle. There was also a wooden "cooler keg" that had coils running through it for cold water lines to cool the beer. They were a half barrel and weighed about 200 lbs. but some bars had the set up for them and preferred them to the steel halves.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought or has tried using a 30 gallon beer keg for aging wine. Not sure if the opening would hold a bung or not, if you could pick one up for 50.00 it would be a cheap alternative for stainless steel

I have used corny kegs (5ga) and the 15.5 gallon beer kegs. The sanke guts can be taken out with the appropriate tool ( I have never done this but I cant imagine it is all that difficult). When the guts are removed the opening is the same size as a 2" tc fitting used in winemaking (tank fittings, pump etc). St pats supply in texas has a section on kegs - read it! They have a section on the removal of the guts and they sell the special tool.

As far as ageing in kegs. Ageing would be fine they are 304 stainless you can put a solid bung in the hole or a bung with an airlock - no problem. I have a couple with the 4 in tc fitting welded on and have wine under pressure with nitrogen. I use mine to dispense wine. I also have corney kegs for this purpose. Do not buy corney kegs for bulk ageing as these must be under pressure to keep proper seal and they do not have a bung that fits the opening.

Kegs are great if you can get a good deal on them get them. I have several corney kegs and two beer kegs. I just ordered 8 more beer kegs for bulk storage to save room. THey are easier to handle than carboys and they save room.

M and M in Hartford has them with the ball knocked out for $65 I think. They also have half barrels.

Latest posts

Back