BBQ anyone?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shen

Reaction score
I enjoy BBQ even more than I do wine, and have built a few smokers over the years. I have this friend that owns a restaurant who asked me to build him one. After acquiring a 500 gallon propane tank, the fun started.

Here's the principle of a reverse flow smoker:
ReverseFlowHorizontalSmoker-Cooker_cropped.bmp

007.JPG

017.JPG

025.JPG

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

Next Monday, it's off to paint. I can't wait to pair some wine with whatever BBQ comes off of this thing!!!

Last edited:
WOW WOW WOW that is so awesome. keep the pictures coming of this project. Will it have a rotisserie?
Thanks. No, no rotisserie, just 4 racks in the tank portion, and 4 more in the warming oven over the firebox. Eventually it'll have a 5' gas grill, sink, water heater, 2 deep fryers, and a roof. It's a pretty big project.

Yes, a most excellent design! I seem to recall one almost just like it a few years ago. Great design choice my friend!

little_boy.jpg

I am working off a 1960's version of this for my serious BBQ'n, but that is some SERIOUS!!! BBQ'n

I do a lot of cross flow somking on it, takes about 6 to 8 hours to do ribs...:sm

grill.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome. I have a friend who owns a BBQ shop in Maryland with a trailer smoker. The best BBQ I've ever had has come out of his smoker.

I have a small smoker but if I ever got my hands on a propane tank like that, I would definitely do the same thing. Thanks for the schematic and pictures!

This the one I built for myself about 4-5 years ago:

trailer_smoker027.640x480.jpg

Almost_time.640x480.jpg

I thought it was really BIG, until I started building this one for my friend out of a propane tank. It makes mine look small.

Have you even used it??? :ft :gb

This is what mine looks like now...sorry for the iphone photos...
Please note extra hickory under it...:db

norton green bay 321.jpg

norton green bay 322.jpg

Last edited:
Thats an old pic. I couldnt keep it clean for my life! Id also be ashamed to take a pic now!!! LOL

I love doing BBQ, but my 'rig' is a simple Weber Smoky Mountain. Love it though, and have done everything from pork butt to brisket to bacon to chipotles on it. I also have a Weber Performer that sees action 3 or 4 times a week, and a Kenmore gas grill that's collecting rust. :D

That old propane tank made an amazing rig. Nice work.

Doug, Mine needs to be strapped into a pick up truck and power washed in another country now!!!!! :cw
How the heck do you keep 1 of these things clean??????????????????????????

Ewwwww, no way is a pic of that going on here. I will clean it before use which will be soon. I kind of wham bam thank you Mammed it last time and left it for dead! :)

Doug, Mine needs to be strapped into a pick up truck and power washed in another country now!!!!! :cw
How the heck do you keep 1 of these things clean??????????????????????????[/QUOTE]

Burn a nice hot fire in it every now and then.. makes a lot of smoke, then hit it with a wire brush... clean for the next Q.

Back