Basic wines for the well-stocked cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne1

Reaction score
Tim Vandergrift has provided a list of basic wines for the well-stocked cellar in his blog -
http://www.winemakermag.com/blogs/a-cellars-market.html

I found it interesting because before I became a winemaker my knowledge of wine was limited to"red" and "white"! This gives me some ideas of wines to make to round out my cellar - I don't know if others would agree with his list or not.

If the link doesn't work the suggestions are:

Whites:

Rosé/Blush (off-dry to medium)
Pinot Gris or Verdicchio or Soave
Sauvignon Blanc
Chardonnay
Riesling or Gewürztraminer

Reds:
Beaujolais or Pinot Noir
Chianti or Valpolicella
Barolo or Zinfandel
Cabernet or Merlot
Zinfandel or Shiraz

Interesting choices there. It is all a matter of taste unless you stock your wine cellar for others' tastes. I like the list with the following exceptions:
Whites
DeleteRose/Blush
Pinot Grigio and Verdicchio and Soave
Riesling and Gewurtztraminer
Add Chenin Blanc
Reds
Pinot Noir
Chianti and Valpolicella
Barolo and Zinfandel
Cabernet

Rocky said:
Interesting choices there. It is all a matter of taste unless you stock your wine cellar for others' tastes.

Rocky makes a very interesting point. I always made what my wife and I like. Well when that got out on control or should I say the cellaer was well stocked, I started making wine for other people's taste. I still make something if I taste it and like it but I also continue to make wine for other peoples taste.

I mainly make what I like which is semi-sweet fruit wines and very dry reds with lots of structure. I also like the ice wines and ports and tend to stick with those. I also like to do some of the mist type kits but kick the abv up to around 11% on them.

I started drinking wine because of my father-in-law. Thats why I asked him if he wanted to start this wine making journey with me. We drink mostly Reds hence the 2 kits we started out with.(RJS VdV Valpol and RJS VdV Chilean Cab/Merlot.) My wife likes Reds but she also likes the Pinot Grigio's hence my 3rd kit (RJS VdV PG).
I already find myself thinking " Joe likes a sweet off dry wine so I have to make some of that and Jess likes this type so I'll have to make some of that" ect.
I can see my wine collection growing by the minute.
smiley2.gif

I do have to say that I do enjoy wine alot but if I can drink a nice bottle with good people it always seems to taste just a little better. When I have enough to be considered a cellar I'm sure it will be a variety of my likes,my wife's likes,my father-in-laws likes ect.
Note to self, start working some overtime !!!

The heck with anyone else!! I make what I want to drink.

OK, so I do make a Pinot Grigio for my wife but, she does let me have that cabinet (for my pieces/parts) in the kitchen and the 2'x2' area that the bucket takes up most of the time on the kitchen floor.

Latest posts

Back