Banana Spice Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssschuerch

Junior
Reaction score
We have started a 5-gallon batch of the Banana Spice wine featured in the purple book (Winemaker's Recipe Handbook). The recipe asks for 1 oz of cloves for a 1-gallon recipe. We decided to be conservative and only added 2 oz of whole cloves for the entire 5 gallons. We have just racked from the primary into the secondary, and the taste and smell of the cloves is overwhelming. Unpleasantly so. Any suggestions on how to temper the cloves and any ideas as to what we could have done wrong in this recipe? We had heard that it was a really good recipe.

I added cloves to my apple spice wine - but i added them in a tea bag and left them in the primary for 2-3 days.

I would suggest doing that the next time - but for now - not sure how to dilute the clove smell and taste.

I made a Mead that is called Joe Mattolis Orange mead and it to had cloves in it and I too veered on the shy side with them and they over powered the whole batch. I havent tried this mead since I made it and its almost 2 years old now and dont know if the taste has settled down as of yet but at that point it was way too uch. Ill open a bottle for you tomorrow to see if it mellows like oak does in a wine and I hope it does for yours and my sake. The only resolution to it if not is to start another batch with no cloves and blend the 2 together after its done fermenting.

@winemaker3352: we really didn't have the cloves in the must for more than 3 days before removing them in our strainer bag. I'm surprised how quickly they imparted flavor.

@Wade E: I would love to hear if your wine is still tasting strongly of cloves! Please let us know.

i am about to start a batch too from the purple book lol and same thing i thought WOW that's too much cloves, i am interested to here how it is too Wade.

I did an Apple Cinnamon and did the same thing. For a while the cinnamon GREATLY overpowered the apple. It has been aging for almost a month and has mellowed out nicely. So give it time, it might turn out just right! Some spices seem to take over but time mellows them and lets you fruit shine through. Good luck!!!

The Apple Spice i made with cinnamon and cloves turned out awesome!!

I will be bottling that later this month.

It was a great mix of apples, some cinnamon, a bit of cloves - nothing really overpowered the other.

It was a great blend.

Well mine was a late night project... " Hey there's some apple juice and oh look a cinnamon stick... and wait there's some yeast!!! What a coincidence! LOL!

I also made the Apple Spiced Wine last month & the recipe said to only leave the cloves in with the apples for 2 days also to put them in a tea bag so its easyier to get back out again, had a wee sip before i came away there was not to much of a taste of cloves will see whats its like when i get home in 2 weeks time.
This hobby must be getting to me (only started in March) as i'm getting 12 one gallon demijohns for £1 each from a guy in Aberdeen, it was that or take up glass blowing & making them myself. He also has a heater tray (4 demijohns) & a vinimat pressure filter both for £25 so not sure about that.

I just started this banana spice recipe tonight! Smells Great!!! I am very excited to try it!

Since this thread has been resurected, Wade, did you try a bottle of your banna spice wine? Did time tone it down a bit?

Latest posts

Back