Backsweetening with homemade fruit syrup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val-the-Brew-Gal

Magickal Cat Wines
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My huckleberry wine is about done fermenting. I would like to backsweeten partly with a syrup made from more fresh huckleberries. So I'm cooking the berries with sugar and plan to strain it after cooling. My question is whether I need to add a bit of pectic enzyme in order for it to clear nicely? Anything else I need to know?

Cooking above 180F will solubility any pectin in the system, ,,, (I have not run huckleberry so can’t say how thick/ how strong it will gel) . A cold/ room temperature extract will minimize pectin solubilization, ,,,, however when folks sweat the juice with dry sugar they let the sugar pull the fruit juice out over several weeks.
In a factory environment I would cold fruit press along with required pectase, filter the juice and then add sugar to the clean juice.

I'd add pectic enzyme, as it won't hurt. Once you sweeten, leave it in the carboy for a month so you can see what happens. If the wine doesn't clear, you can add pectic then.

Latest posts

Back