Back Sweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannabarn

Reaction score
How late in the process can you back sweeten? I have Cherry Pomegranate bulk aging for about 6 months. It is still too sour for our taste. Can it still be back sweetened?

As long as you have added sorbate into the wine you can back sweeten up to te point you bottle

I agree with Leroy, but if you have had this wine in a carboy for 6 months, even if you have added K-meta and K-sorbate, I would addboth again. Then, back-sweeten to your taste using simple syrupandlet it stand for a few days to be sure there is no re-fermentation. Clarify for a week or two prior to bottling.

At any time at all after you have stabilized the wine. You can do it years later, just make sure to keep the sulfite levels proper.

I have added sorbate and K-meta when I clarified it. I will add some more k-meta and back sweeten.Thanks for the reassurance

Just take it slow and easy on the backsweetning. Don't want to over do it

Thanks, Waldo. I think I've got it just right now. At least my better half thinks so!!! So it must be.

If you have a wine that is really done (like aged 6 months or more after fermentation is complete) do you really have to let it sit again after you backsweeten it or can you just sweeten it and bottle the same day (as long as you add K-meta and sorbate)?
smiley5.gif

I have back sweetened once just before bottling. No Problems. Make sure you added enough meta and sorbate.

Latest posts

Back