WineXpert Australian Shiraz / Viognier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 6. SG = 1.008 so racked to carboy. I transfered nearly all of the liquid but it still only came up to the top ring at the shoulder of my Italian carboy. All those oak chips must have soaked up a lot of liquid.

I have a question about aging. The kit comes with k-meta that i added at the clairing and stablize stage. After I transfer I want to condition for at least 6 months. Should i add more k-meta at this point or wait 6 months?

Wait 3 to 4 months from the stabilization date and add 1/4 teaspoon of
K-meta for protection.

Stabilized today (day 19). Brought up to 75 degrees with a brew belt. SG was about .994, so, based on my starting SG of 1.095 the alcohol level should be close to 13.7%. Used a drill stirrer and degassing was easy.

Just finished bottling this and am currently enjoying a glass of the leftover. Nice color, med-full body. Obviously, the nose and flavors are rough and primary, but the varietal character is there. Based on what I've seen/tasted, I have very high expectations.

Bottled 30 x 750 ml and 3 x 375 ml. Intend to pop the first 375 in six to nine months, and then the next two at three-month intervals to monitor the progress before busting into the 750s.

Jason

Still waiting on my art department (aka, my 4-year old son) to make something so I can fashion it into a label. Tough to find good help these days....

Hey Jason, I am still bulk aging mine. I think i will bottle around Aug or Sept. Glad to hear you are enjoying yours.

Great Wine

I started this kit last February and we enjoyed drinking it right away. It's so good I tracked down more kits and have another started right now. Then when carboy available will start the 3rd kit. It came with labels, so use them when taking a bottle somewhere or gift giving. Still haven't designed my own labels, but going to need to soon, as I've got Rhubarb, Chokecherry, and Raspberry wines to bottle. I always start fermenting on an electric seed starting mat. It's worked great, keeping the liquid around 70 degrees no matter the room temp. But soon I'm going to be moving the whole process to a new wine cellar room we're building and wondering if the cooler room will require more than just the mat ... we'll see.

You are so lucky! I pre-ordered this from Midwest Supplies, so I won't get it until sometime in January. I'm really looking forward to trying this wine. I've never made a red/white blend before. I usualy ferment in the basement and its too cold I think. About 55 deg now.

That's odd. I thought this was a 2010 limited edition. I didn't realize it was going to be offered again in 2011 or 2012. I checked on Midwest Supplies and the only listing I could find was for the sold out 2010 kit.

That's odd. I thought this was a 2010 limited edition. I didn't realize it was going to be offered again in 2011 or 2012. I checked on Midwest Supplies and the only listing I could find was for the sold out 2010 kit.

ferymark's post is just a copy and paste of other much older posts from this same thread. All his/her other posts are the same method.

This was also available in the RJS Cru Select kits as a regular offering - I made it about 2 years ago; I believe it may still be part of their stock.

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't touched mine in months. Might be time to check so2 levels and bottle. I need the carboy and need to move empty bottles from the shed to full ones in the cellar.

Made both kits. Not so happy with the Voignier.. Didn't clear as nicely as other kits I have done. Seemed like the oak was a bit overpowering. I am hoping with some time the oak flavor will mellow. Haven't bottled the Voignier yet.

The Primitivo finished very nice, bottled about 2 weeks ago. I think with a bit of aging the Primitivo will be one of my favorites. This kit seemed to work much better the Voignier. Cleared quickly great flavor.

I am so glad to finally get another member from PA. When you get a moment please go to our introductions site and let us know a little bit about you. Once again welcome!

Made both kits. Not so happy with the Voignier.

This is a single kit that's a blend of Shiraz and Viognier, not two separate kits. It's probably something in the neighborhood of 95% Shiraz 5% Viognier. Very common in the Northern Rhone and increasingly popular in the Central Coast of CA. I don't follow Australian wines but it must be popular there too. I think that's where this juice is from.

Planning to open a 375ml tonight to try for the first time. Fingers crossed....

This is a single kit that's a blend of Shiraz and Viognier, not two separate kits. It's probably something in the neighborhood of 95% Shiraz 5% Viognier. Very common in the Northern Rhone and increasingly popular in the Central Coast of CA. I don't follow Australian wines but it must be popular there too. I think that's where this juice is from.

Planning to open a 375ml tonight to try for the first time. Fingers crossed....

Looking forward to hearing your opinion on the Voignier. I think it could come around and be decent. I am hoping so anyway.

Latest posts

Back