WineXpert Australian Shiraz / Viognier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danc

Reaction score
I just picked up this kit from wine shop today. I can't to start this, unfortunately I'm waiting for a primary fermenter to free up. Has anyone else picked up this kit yet?

You are so lucky! I pre-ordered this from Midwest Supplies, so I won't get it until sometime in January. I'm really looking forward to trying this wine. I've never made a red/white blend before.

Kelleyaynn, Welcome to the forum. I am so glad to finally get another member from PA. When you get a moment please go to our introductions site and let us know a little bit about you. Once again welcome!

Order mine in Dec. Waiting for it to arrive sometime in Jan. What is the Fermenting temp. on this wine? I usualy ferment in the basement and its too cold I think. About 55 deg now.

Order mine in Dec. Waiting for it to arrive sometime in Jan. What is the Fermenting temp. on this wine? I usualy ferment in the basement and its too cold I think. About 55 deg now.

Winexpert recommends about 74F for all of their kits.

Steve

I decided to skip this kit, not a big Viognier fan myself. I did order the other two reds. Let us now how it turns out, or if there is anything different about this kit that you don't find in the regular kits.

Just got the email that my kit shipped. Looks like it will be in the primary next weekend. Woo Hoo!

Any updates on the progress of this kit? I'm going to start it once a carboy opens up in a couple weeks.

Jason

I have this in the wings. I am bottling my first 2 wines this weekend then starting this kit and an ice wine kit.
Then after that I'm out of stuff to make.... hooked but spent enough money.... must resist..... crap....what do I get next? Pinot Noir I think - maybe 2 - 1 high end, 1 summer mist type?

I hope this one is good!

Sorry for rambling....

I understand it is hard to stop when we get started. Every little thing leads to something else you may need or want, and we end up with more wine than it seems we can drink. It is fun though.

I have both Aust/Shiraz/Viognier and the Italian Primitivo in hand. I am waiting for area temps. to rise before I start the kit (looking for 70s). I could jack up the T/Stat but I dont like it that warm. Im sure it will be in a couple weeks.:tz
From what I have read the Primitivo is a Zinfandel type. Anyone confirm?

Yes, the primitivo variety is genetically very similar to the U.S. zinfandel, and wines made from these two grapes are often fairly indistinguishable. UC Davis has used DNA profiling to determine that the zinfandel variety is a clone of the Croatian variety Crlienak (no idea how to pronounce).

I have both Aust/Shiraz/Viognier and the Italian Primitivo in hand. I am waiting for area temps. to rise before I start the kit (looking for 70s). I could jack up the T/Stat but I dont like it that warm. Im sure it will be in a couple weeks.:tz
From what I have read the Primitivo is a Zinfandel type. Anyone confirm?

I have the same kits you do, and started both of them, despite a house temperature of about 65 degrees. It just takes longer for fermentation to complete. The shiraz/viognier is clearing, and the primitivo in the primary, so I haven't really tasted anything...yet.

It is my understanding too that the primitivo is like a zinfandel, just not as fruit forward as the New World versions.

Mine has a few more days in the primary. I keep mine near the furnace where its a steady 70. They brew about 74.

I started Primitivo Sat. I too have it fermenting in the closet where the furnace is. I wil be starting the Aust/Viog. this Sat.
Then I plan on bulk condition for 6 months before I bottle.

I started both my Australian Shiraz/Viognier and Italian Primitivo at the same time. On Thursday March 17th, I checked the SG and it read;

Australian Shiraz: 1.000
Italian Primitivo: 0.996

I decided to wait a few more days before proceeding to clearing...

On Sunday March 20th, I checked the SG again and it read;

Australian Shiraz: 1.000
Italian Primitivo: 0.992

I therefore proceeded to Step 3 for the Italian Primitivo but decided to wait for the Australian Shiraz and put the heating belt around the carboy. I checked the SG again on the 22nd and it still read 1.000 for the SG.

The instructions say it should be at 0.996 before proceeding but it hasn't budged from 1.000 and there's no activity in the airlock.

Thoughts?

What is the temp of the shiraz? Sounds like you are putting a brew belt on so that is good. I would try to get the temp up and see if it does not kick back in again..

I started my Australian Shiraz/Viognier kit last night. SG = 1.095 and the temp was 74 when I pitched the yeast. The juice tasted great, like black raspberry pie. Airlock started burping in the middle of the night, so I'm on my way!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back