WineXpert Australian Cab/Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD25

Reaction score
I would like to start an Australian Cab/Shiraz and was wondering if you all have tried the Winexpert Selection kit or could recommend another brand?Also, will a drill stirrier for paint perform as well as the drill mixer/stirrer for wine?
Thanks in advance.
JD

JD,
I did that kit about 9 months ago. It uses a lot of oak, so takes a while to age. I think it is really coming along. I have only tried a couple bottles so far, trying to age it close to a year. If f you like a heavy red, you should like this one a lot.

I would stay away from the paint stirrer even if it fit in the bottle. Unless it is plastic, it would be hard on the carboy. If it is plastic, it might not be food grade. Masta says the stirrers are on sale this month at FVW, so there's your excuse to get one now.

I tasted a friends batch and it was good. Not over the type fruit
bomb but it was a good bottle. I think it was about 6 months in
the bottle.

Thansk Appleman. This is only my second batch (first being a Piesporter) and wouldappreciate your thoughts on an entry level red asI've never used oak before. Is the Cab/Shiraz"novice friendly", recommendations?

JD

JD25 said:
I would like to start an Australian Cab/Shiraz and was wondering if you all have tried the Winexpert Selection kit or could recommend another brand?Also, will a drill stirrier for paint perform as well as the drill mixer/stirrer for wine?
Thanks in advance.
JD

I have made the Australian Cab/Shiraz and I do like it. It was bottled around July I think! ( I'm at work and don't have my wine book). I am trying to stay away from it so it will make the one year mark. Out of the 30 bottles I have around 15-17 left. As per this forums advice, I have keptthe winein a decanter for about an hour before drinking, it is very smooth, heavy in oak, but not over powering. I'm an all red wine wine'o and would consider making this one again. But, I also have in the making the Mosti Mondial Amarone RE078, what a nice, nice red wine!! This one will definitely be made again. The Mosti Mondial Amarone is one to be aged at least one year and better if aged 2-3 years if I remember right. But it being around two months or so, it is good now!

The Cab/Shiraz is definitely novice friendly. Nothing out of the ordinary in making it. The WE World Vineyards Trinity Red seems to be a good one and is relatively inexpensive. I could have bottled it last weekent but elected to just rack it off the finings and let it age a little. Naturally I needed to sample it, and it will be very nice. That series is the replacement for the Vintner's Reserve series to give the lower end kits more body. Give that one a try.

Description

An ideal blending of three of California 's most popular grape varieties - Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot, com ing together to make a perfectly balanced, well- structured dry red wine. Notes of black cherry and coffee complement the smokey, herbal flavours, and hints of vanilla that round out this medium bodied wine , making it highly enjoyable for any occasion. Serve with a roast dinner or barbecued steak.

Back