Quantcast

article regarding pectic enzyme

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
960
Reaction score
942
Location
Raleigh, NC, USA
I spotted this article this morning: Using Pectic Enzymes I already knew most of what is in the article, but this tip made reading worth it:

to test for the presence of pectin by adding 50 mL of wine to 200 mL of methanol. If heavy whitish sediment forms, the wine contains excessive pectin and should be treated again with enzymes until it clears. If the test proves negative, then the wine may contain excessive proteins, which must be treated accordingly.
For non-metric folks, 1.75 oz wine in 7 oz methanol (wood alcohol).

WARNING: Methanol is severely toxic -- discard the test sample, DO NOT pour it back into your wine.

Ingesting as little as 10 ml (0.34 US fl oz) of pure methanol can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve. 30 ml (1.0 US fl oz) is potentially fatal.
 

hounddawg

Dawg
Joined
Oct 23, 2014
Messages
2,624
Reaction score
1,858
Location
very N.E. Arkansas in the instep of MO, BOOTHILL,,
I spotted this article this morning: Using Pectic Enzymes I already knew most of what is in the article, but this tip made reading worth it:

to test for the presence of pectin by adding 50 mL of wine to 200 mL of methanol. If heavy whitish sediment forms, the wine contains excessive pectin and should be treated again with enzymes until it clears. If the test proves negative, then the wine may contain excessive proteins, which must be treated accordingly.
For non-metric folks, 1.75 oz wine in 7 oz methanol (wood alcohol).

WARNING: Methanol is severely toxic -- discard the test sample, DO NOT pour it back into your wine.

Ingesting as little as 10 ml (0.34 US fl oz) of pure methanol can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve. 30 ml (1.0 US fl oz) is potentially fatal.
I've been around many types of alcohol, but pardon my poor simple mine, but just what are you calling wood alcohol
Thank You
Dawg
 

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
960
Reaction score
942
Location
Raleigh, NC, USA
I've been around many types of alcohol, but pardon my poor simple mine, but just what are you calling wood alcohol
@NoAQuarter got it before I did. Wood alcohol AKA methyl alcohol AKA methanol was originally made from distilling wood. It's used, among other things, as a solvent and it's the active ingredient in antifreeze.

My Dad had a bottle in the barn when I was a kid, on a high shelf, well out of the reach of a child. When I was old enough to understand, he pointed out the various things he had that are poisonous, and that bottle was top of the list.

AFAIK, methanol bottles are well marked as poisonous, but it's dangerous enough that I posted the warning.
 

winemanden

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
274
Reaction score
227
Location
Banbury UK
The active ingredient in antifreeze is Ethylene or propylene glycol.

Methanol is used to lower the freezing temperature of windshield washer fluid.
Ethylene is what was used in the the Austrian/German wine doctoring scandal to add body and a touch of sweetness to the wine. Fortunately for us in the rest of the World, UNFORTUNATE for the wineries that were doing it, one greedy sod tried to claim for it on his Tax returns. When it was investigated, it turned out that lots of Wineries were doing the same thing.:slp:slp
 

Snafflebit

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2013
Messages
274
Reaction score
151
Location
San Jose, CA
I know some good ol' boys in Iowa who drank some of the output of an ethanol plant like it was moonshine.
They are alive, but had a splitting headache. I told them that it was probably laced with methanol. And this corn is usually tainted with aflatoxin which is why it is being used for fuel.
Probably took a year off their lives
 

hounddawg

Dawg
Joined
Oct 23, 2014
Messages
2,624
Reaction score
1,858
Location
very N.E. Arkansas in the instep of MO, BOOTHILL,,
I know some good ol' boys in Iowa who drank some of the output of an ethanol plant like it was moonshine.
They are alive, but had a splitting headache. I told them that it was probably laced with methanol. And this corn is usually tainted with aflatoxin which is why it is being used for fuel.
Probably took a year off their lives
at least that's why the heads are always poured out at the site 😁 cough i mean that's what i heard,
Dawg
 

Latest posts

Top