Aroma kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildvines

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had used an aroma kit to help describe wines and learn what the main aromas really do smell like? A friend has a kit and he said it helped him out a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I have several of them but they are all for identifying wine faults, not the fruit aromas. I personally would not buy the other ones. It is one of those things that are very expensive, you'll open it up once or twice and it'll sit on the shelf.

I have several of them but they are all for identifying wine faults, not the fruit aromas. I personally would not buy the other ones. It is one of those things that are very expensive, you'll open it up once or twice and it'll sit on the shelf.

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Can you tell me where to get these that would help identify wine faults? Sounds interesting!

Sam

Tom the one you listed is the same as the first one I posted.

That is the one I bought a few years ago because it was cheaper.
I believe the second one the company will replace the fragrances as they start to deteriorate and get weaker. I got the second kit from a two day class I took on wine faults.

I honestly can't say one is better than the other. What I can tell you is that you better not store it an where near your kitchen or any closed cupboard or closet. You will smell it. When I take this class at Penn State it's on the second floor of the creamery and as soon as you get on that floor your smelling this stuff in the air. We are using several labs for this exercise and the main lobby area upstairs. They only off this course once a year and it's in February.

$308 plus shipping to USA but this one looks really cool!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1395584234.421950.jpg

Sam

My only caution is to remember this is one of those things you won't get a lot of use out of. The kit I got in class I have never opened since I brought it home. I won't get rid of it, but it's just one of those things. I know one other member that got one before me and he said the same thing. Of all the different kits available though I would suggest the faults kit for identifying an issue you may be having.

Dan, I agree that these are really expensive kits and probably have a limited usefulness. That's why I don't own any of them. However, I'll confess to being really curious about them. Mostly, I'm curious about the faults kit. I would like to be able to detect a faulty wine and know exactly what fault it is. Alas, that's just not the case for me. I'm told that a corked wine smells like a musty basement. But I don't spend any time in musty basements, so I'm not real clear what that's going to smell like if/when I ever open a bottle of corked wine.

Any suggestions about identifying the faults without buying one of these kits?

I don 't look at buying one of these kits and worrying about how much use it will get. This investment is like taking a class.... Once you pay for it and go through it.... You are done. But now have the knowledge of what you learned! I would expect the kit to sit after you are done with it and learn what you want from it.... Maybe then sell it!

Sam

Any suggestions about identifying the faults without buying one of these kits?

Tom that is the exact reason I bought the fault kit and it's the only one I recommend. Each of the aromas will be described differently by different people so I understand what you're saying. Ultimately if you ever attend a trade show that has a workshop or a local college might have a wine sensory workshop, would be the best thing. The workshops at Penn State always has a few serious home winemakers in them and also a few folks going through the AWS wine judging program.

I don 't look at buying one of these kits and worrying about how much use it will get. This investment is like taking a class.... Once you pay for it and go through it.... You are done. But now have the knowledge of what you learned! I would expect the kit to sit after you are done with it and learn what you want from it.... Maybe then sell it!

Sam

Sam in addition to what you posted you always have the kit to refer back to. Even though I haven't gone back to mine yet, I would never sell it.

Sam looking at your Avatar I seee you make sausage. This is something that has always intrigued me. I've tasted some homemade sausage sticks and they were awesome.

One of the seminars at our annual wine and grape growers conference used the fault kit during of all things a talk on wine faults and how to spot them. I can tell you after smelling some of those things once, you really don't want to smell them again! LOL

Sam looking at your Avatar I seee you make sausage. This is something that has always intrigued me. I've tasted some homemade sausage sticks and they were awesome.

Yes... I grew up in an Italian grocery store and we would make home made Italian sausage all the time! I still buy the pork butts and casings and make my own from time to time.... I use to hang and dry it but don't have a good place to do that in my current home.... I am afraid to put it in my wine cellar.... The smell of fresh sausage is so strong it might get into my wine! lol

Sam

Latest posts

Back