Argon for topping up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
Does anyone use argon gas for topping up/off excessive headspace? What are the pros and cons of its use? Someone suggested it to me at one point.
Is it a viable option?
Thanks!

I use it occasionally. Its rather expensive to get started. There really isn't a sure fire way of knowing how long you are protected before it starts seeping out. For short time 1-3 weeks I feel comfortable with it. Anytime longer then that you should follow suggested procedures.
Suggested procedures; always ensure you have proper amounts of k-meta in the wine. Knowing you do, your wine is probably safe for a week or two being a little bit short.
Best method of all though is either top up with another like wine or rack down to smaller containers.

Honestly for the approximately $150.00 start up for a Argon set up, I would pyt that money into some test equipment.

the biggest con is that you can die if you inhale...being heavier than air it will sit in your lungs..better have a buddy around to dial 911 or give you a quick hard squeeze to compress your diagphram ;)

no downside to the wine...good and easy to use...inexpensive

the biggest con is that you can die if you inhale...being heavier than air it will sit in your lungs..better have a buddy around to dial 911 or give you a quick hard squeeze to compress your diagphram ;)

no downside to the wine...good and easy to use...inexpensive

hehehe and it doesn't leave any marks. You just suffocate to death. When I told this to my wife she told her family and friends if anything ever happens to her to get an autopsy ordered and mention Argon. LOL

Wow, snuff wine. Whoed a thunk it.
I do have argon on hand for my welder, and being on hand makes it very cheap. But I will not have it in the house for this reason. My 9 month old son crawls on the floor daily. His play pen is low to the floor. If that valve failed or I did not close it tight? Cheaper to top off with something else, like a cheap wine.

Last edited:
Pure argon is for aluminum and stainless, argon/Co2 is for carbon steel. I keep both on hand. Never know what odd job is gonna come along.

I use C02 sometimes for displacing volume as I have it around for carbonating beer and wine. I also purge my carboys with it when I have a white or light fruit wine. It takes a lot to get it into your wine unlike trying to get it out of yoyr wine if some of you are worried about that.

I use it just because I have a lot of it on hand. Its not too dangerous as long as you dont intentionally inhale a lot of it concentrated "right from the bottle". If a little blowes in your face while messing with it, dont panic just breathe. It wont stay in your lungs. It is heavier than air but not by enough that you cant exhale it. Its as dangerous as inhaling helium, and we have all done that a time or two. Just as dangerous as CO2. Use common sence and you will be plenty safe. I just go in my shop and hook a sanitized piece of aquarium hose to the flow meter and fill a sanitized balloon. Then gently release it into the carboy. If you have a friend or neighbor with a tank, its a great way to "borrow" a bit of gas.

i dont think the danger should be minimized..many people often have their wine stored in areas that may have little ventilation...additionally aging wines may be stored in an area where active fermentations are taking place, thus reducing some of the 02 available....the problem does not stem only from taking in direct from the bottle

when one of the minimal side effects is 'unconsciousness' i think its good to sit up and take note
-----
http://actrav.itcilo.org/actrav-english/telearn/osh/ic/7440371.htm

INHALATION Asphyxia. Dizziness. Unconsciousness.

-----
remember the air you breath is only about 16-18% O2 Mike can correct me...and if i recall correctly just getting to a level of about 12% starts making the pulse rapid...so if you were in a lower 02 environment which many wine makers could find themselves in then further reducing the 02 percentage with a known asphyiant is reason to take notice
____

http://www.chacha.com/question/what-are-the-dangers-of-inhaling-argon-gas

What are the dangers of inhaling argon gas?
Although argon is non-toxic, it does not satisfy the body's need for oxygen and is thus an asphyxiant. While it wouldn't do any harm to you if you were also breathing oxygen, breathing solely argon would eventually kill you (from oxygen deprivation).

___

panic???? no...but reason for more than a casual demeanor

Argon is an indeed asphyxiant.

At work we actually have room sensors that will alarm if the amount of O2 drops below a certain set point in areas where gas cylinders are stored and worked with. That said as long as you handle it like you would any other chemical (and it is a chemical let me assure you) with safety in mind you have little to worry about.

If you purchase a cylinder you should check it for leaks they day you bring it home. Make up a solution of soap and water and put it into a spray bottle and spray the regulator and any associated valving hardware attached. If you have a leak you will see bubbles. Check all your connections!

Most winemakers only turn the gas on for just long enough to backfill a carboy. 10-15 seconds at most. I have a small cylinder that only holds about 6 liters. Not enough to make any difference in O2 levels really if the entire full cylinder were to leak into the room.

However if you have a large full size cylinder (Size A etc) and you are working in a small confined space you should exercise more caution for sure when working with that much compressed gas. Use your head. Open a window or door to the outside when your going to top off. Make sure someone knows your working in the winery if your going to be using compressed gas.

The odds are small but accidents can and do happen. We just had a guy lose parts of two fingers a few weeks ago trying to keep a large heavy Dewar of LN2 from toppling over and his hand got caught between the Dewar and the cart........

Treat compressed gases with the respect they deserve. Propane gas cylinders as well!

You don't want to be on your way to heaven after an silly accident and say to yourself oh geez how did I not see that one coming.......

Latest posts

Back