Apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterloowino

Junior
Reaction score
I made applesauce last weekend and had a gallon of residual juice from cooking the apples. I want to make this into a apple wine with cinnamon. Does any one have any recipes or advice?
thanks
Steve

I did a 1 gal of spiced apple wine a couple of years ago, I used 1 cinnamon stick, some allspice, a couple of cloves, a vanilla bean. Maybe some black peppercorns. I'm going by memory here :)

Make sure to adjust the acidity at the beginning or the wine could be very tart at the end. I used crab apples, so mine has taken quite awhile to come around, but it tastes like Autumn now.

I just added some vanilla and a handful of chips - wife And I like it alot

That was after adding sugar and some apple concentrate

I made applesauce last weekend and had a gallon of residual juice from cooking the apples. I want to make this into a apple wine with cinnamon. Does any one have any recipes or advice?
thanks
Steve

You cooked the apples so the pectin may be more set than you would prefer. You may want/need to include some pectic enzyme before you add the yeast to help break down those molecules and so avoid a wine that may not clear.

Bernardsmith has it correct. My 'recipe' was just an idea of what to put in. Make sure you use good/modern wine practises: pectic enzyme, k-meta, sorbate if backsweetening, etc.

We are quite happy with the result so far. It's spiced just right, and the acidity is the only thing I would have changed. This year I'm using 71B yeast, so hopefully that makes the difference.

Do as you wish waterloo, chances are this won't be your last batch. There's a few apple wine/apfelwein threads around here with some pretty creative tweaks.

BC

Oooh, yeah, I posted an apple pie wine recipe here on this site. You basically ferment out the apple juice with a few cinnamon sticks and I think a half teaspoon or so of nutmeg. It makes an excellent wine that tastes like apple pie and is good warmed up in the fall.

Latest posts

Back