Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl

Reaction score
<LI>1 gal fresh or bottled apple juice
<LI>1-1/4 lb granulated sugar
<LI>1 tsp acid blend
<LI>1-2/3 tsp pectic enzyme
<LI>1 crushed Campden tablet
<LI>1/4 to 1/2 tsp tannin
<LI>1-1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
<LI>1 pkt Champagne wine yeast </LI>

This is a recipe from Jack Kellers site. Are there substitutes for some of these ingredients?

Could raisins be use instead of tannin? What about acid blend?

What does pectic enzyme do?

earl

Yes raisins could be used to add tannin...maybe 1/2 cup for a gal

lemon or orange juice could be used in place of acid blend

pectic enzyme will help prevent pectin haze in your finished wine and allow it to clear properly.

Earl,

Some people use the peels or rind of oranges and lemons in their wines. If you usepeelsavoid the white pith, they can give very "off" flavors.

I use the same recipe, but I add sugar as needed, not necessarily per the instructions. I add sugar to bring the original PA up to whatever I want (usually 15%). When it's completely dry &amp; cleared (I do use KC Superklear), I add 4 ounces (to a 6 gallon carboy) of the apple concentrate that FineVineWines sells. It really picks up the apple flavor. Lately I've also been adding some sugar &amp; sorbate to the end product too. Without the extra sugar &amp; apple concentrate, the wine is drinkable but just seems a bit flat &amp; flavorless. Now this apple wine is one of my favorites. Good stuff.

Robert

Thanks for the replies.

I just want to get the process correct. I put the ingredients together, including the K-meta in the primary.

Allow to ferment to about 1.010 sg then rack to a carboy.

It ferments in that carboy till about 0.996 or so then I rack it off the lees into another carboy.

I then would add a fining agent and Potassium Sorbate. Allow the wine to sit until clear then bottle.

Does that sound about right? If I plan on having this drunk within the year do I need to add extra K-meta to it?

earl

earl,

It sounds like you have a good solid grasp on the process. If you decide to use raisins remember to factor in the extra sugar they will add. I would add another campden a week or so before bottling to make up for the inevitable splashing and consequent O2 addition. A week will let any fillers precipitate out.

I will do that. I am in no hurry for this one. After I stabilize it I plan on leaving it in the carboy for at least a month before bottling. At least I say that now, who knows.

earl

Latest posts

Back