Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to put an update on about my apple wine.

14 days into secondary the SG is 1.002, there is still a slow but active ferment going.There is asmallstream offine bubbles heading for the top of the carboy. Im averaginga bubble out of the airlock about every 15 seconds or so. I tasted it and I was happily suprised. There is a nicesmell of apple with apunch alcohol. I'mglad I added the extra tannin because its very crisp yet still somewhat sweet at the current SG, I think the batch is going tobe awesome!

I wont be racking for another week or so until everything is stable, I'll be sure to take some pictures.

Time to start another!!

Now you're making me want to try an Apple wine. Yu did a great job Darrenim
smiley32.gif

Apple Wine is stable at 0.998, planning on racking tomorrow morning.

Pondering a few things...

The wine has approx 15.0% alcohol, with a light body. Im intending on producing a dessert wine from this batch so I think I need to beef up the body for not only mouth feel but to help balance out the high alcohol level. What's the concensus for adding some white grape concentrate? or would there be a way to boost the body using an apple product? Final question is oaking? Anyone think a light oaking would help this wine develop some complexity?

Thanks....

Darren,

I recently had a apple wine/cider that was also 15% ABV and I sweetened it with 100% pure apple juice concentrate. I used the non-frozen liquid concentrate that comes in a can and it added body and lots of apple flavor and aroma.

I can't comment too much on the oaking of an apple wine since I don't have any completed but I am oaking 5 gals of my cranberry apple wine right now with 1 oz of heavy toast French oak cubes.

I like the apple concentrate idea, when did you sweeten? and to what SG did you go?

Right now Im racking to finish the secondary fermentation and get into the clearing phase. Its still fizzy, which kinda bothers me, but Im assuming its all the gas thats yet to get out. Im figuring a racking with a good stirr tomorrow will send it well on its way.

Any recommendations on clearing agents? (my recipe doesnt call for any, just clearing should occur within 2-4 weeks from this racking)

As always...Thanks..

Back