Apple Wine REcipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj4271

Reaction score
I was looking at the list of Recipes George has posted &, since I just picked up a lot of apple juice at Sam's, was interested in the Apple wine from juice recipe. A couple of questions:

to make larger batches, can I just multiply ingredients?

am I to ignore the parts about squeezing bag, etc. when the recipe only uses juice?

You can multiply up all the ingredients except the yeast. You don't need
to add any more than 1 packet of yeast.

If you're making wine from juice and have no other solids, you don't need
to have a bag. Usually the bag is for holding any larger solids together.
That way you get the flavor from those solids but you avoid clogging
siphon tubes etc when you come to rack to secondary.

Look at Martina's recipe page www.mywinerecipes.com for
some ideas. I have a cranberry apple recipe on that site. Also working on
mango apple at the moment. You can find that one under fruit wines and
Mango Apple thread.

Peter

bj,

Jack Kelller has a recipe for bottled juice on his site: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request200.asp

As Peter states, increase the quantity of ingredients per the gallons you makefor all but the yeast. One packet is good for up to 5 gallons (some will push this to 6 gal, but I don't).

Hope this helps

PC

In my apple wines I like to add some golden raisins to give a better body to the wine.

My one and only try at apple wine was with bottled juice and I wasn't pleased with the flavor. I used a similar recipe to Jack's. I would love to try a sparkling version though.

If you have a sparkling version you can leave it a bit sweeter. The CO2 takes
away from the sweetness.

I love golden raisins, great idea!

PK, Jack's recipe calls for 1 gal batches - less to screw up. Did you figure out what was wrong with the taste?

Thanks, all.

By the way, Paybin (Pete?) do you do anything to the raisins (mash them, cut them up, etc)?

Raisins should be minced or at the very least put through a blender
smiley1.gif

I use a meat grinder...set for a course grind....expect to have a lot fines, even useing a straining bag.

I ran mine (with currants and other stuff too), through a blender with some water to get things going. Most of it ended as bottom muck in the primary.

Latest posts

Back