Apple Wine Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loumik

Reaction score
I have been reading recipes in this forum and finevinewines and jackkeller in preparation to make apple wine. However I have come across a couple of items that I have questions about.

1. Acid blend or tartaric acid? Which is prefered or does it matter?

2. EC-1118 or Cotes De Blanc?

I came a cross a recipe in FVW forum directing Asorbic Acid be added to the wine just before bottling.

3. Would the asorbic acid be used to replace k-meta or in addition to it.

Any opinions or comments will be appreciated.
LOUMIK:a1

absorbic acid is used to prevent browning of the wine. You know when you peel apples how they start to brown?

If you are a beginniner I would recommend using acid blend. I really believe until you get to understand the importance of acids and their roles and the dominent acid in the fruit you should just play it safe.

I too would use acid blend and it is used in conjunction with sulfites. Id go with Cotes Des Blank myself.

there are lots of recipes
for making wine. you can get more information from google search engine.

Thanks everyone for the advise.
I made 3 gals of Apple wine last year that turned out pretty good. I'm about to make another batch soon based on the same recipe. Hopefully it will be even better.
Just asked the above questions out of curiosity and desire to learn more about this hobby.

Thanks Again,

LOUMIK:dg

I have made apple wine a couple of times. First time I followed a recipe and it wasn't very good, but my second stab at it I let the juice tell me what to do and it was spot on.

I cheat a little. I buy apple juice in the gallon jugs and then bulk age it right back into the same jug I bought it in.

If I recall I don't think I added acids to my apple. But I usually shoot for a pH of 3.4ish so I may have. I would have added tartaric acid.

The first batch I used an EC-1118 but then the second time I went with a 71B-1122.

Latest posts

Back