Apple Wine Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loumik

Reaction score
I started 3 gallons of apple wine on Oct. 8. On Oct 12 I racked to secondary when the SG reached 1.020 per the recipe. The recipe I'm using says I should leave it for 3-4 weeks or until the SG reaches 1.000 or lower. Today is Oct. 30 and the SG is 1.002 at 73*. My concern is that I'm still getting bubbles through my airlocks, one about every 2 min. With temp at 73* I'm thinking that the SG is actually higher than 1.002. Only 3 weeks have passed since I racked, should I leave it another week or should I go ahead and rack it, degass and start bulk ageing it. I have about 3.5 gallons and it tastes pretty good already. Forgot to mention SG has been at 1.002 for 3 days.
Any suggestions/advise will be appreciated.

Thanks, LOUMIK:a1:a1

Last edited:
I'd leave it another week just to be one the safe side then check SG before racking stabilizing and degassing. The bubbles may be it degassing and not fermentation.

can any one answer me that Is this is harmful for lever or not ??

Glen - welcome to the forum!! How about an introduction about yourself, what you've made or are planning on making in the Intro section?

Not sure i follow the above question either?

I started 3 gallons of apple wine on Oct. 8. On Oct 12 I racked to secondary when the SG reached 1.020 per the recipe. The recipe I'm using says I should leave it for 3-4 weeks or until the SG reaches 1.000 or lower. Today is Oct. 30 and the SG is 1.002 at 73*. My concern is that I'm still getting bubbles through my airlocks, one about every 2 min. With temp at 73* I'm thinking that the SG is actually higher than 1.002. Only 3 weeks have passed since I racked, should I leave it another week or should I go ahead and rack it, degass and start bulk ageing it. I have about 3.5 gallons and it tastes pretty good already. Forgot to mention SG has been at 1.002 for 3 days.
Any suggestions/advise will be appreciated.

Thanks, LOUMIK:a1:a1

I realize it has been a few days. I would leave it go another week or so. Do you have heavy lees on the bottom of carboy or just fine layer? Mine usually fermented dry .994 or lower. Once you rack again let it bulk age then you can stabilize and back sweeten if you like. I generally make an fpac with apple juice and use that to back sweeten with as it adds alot of apple flavor back into the wine.

Glen - welcome to the forum!! How about an introduction about yourself, what you've made or are planning on making in the Intro section?

Not sure i follow the above question either?
that makes 2 of us

Latest posts

Back