Apple wine - out of pectic enzyme

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misskimmie

Junior
Reaction score
I'm a new winemaker. I don't have pectic enzyme, and cant get more for a few days. In the mean while I have 3 gallons of wind fall apple juice in a bucket. I made juice last night (jack lalane juicer) and put in campden, malic acid and tannin. I thought I had pectic but I don't. I was going to pitch yeast today. Will it be ok without? Can I add pectic latter ? Heres what I did so far.

3 gal apple juice (from 37 lbs apples)
1 TBS acid blend
1 tsp tannin
3 campden tabs

You've got a few days but once you introduce yeast your pectic enzyme will not work well if at all. Keep your must chilled as best as possible.

Thanks Luc, I did that info on your site and you told me what I had surmised by reading it. I decided to take a trip to the winery where I get my supplies. It' an hour and half drive one way but worth it. I get encouragement there and I also bought another 3 gal. carboy there. Just in time, as today I found a source for ripe plums at a good price. My husband like what I am doing but he says its not a hobby, it's an obsession.

I too, have to drive about an hour to get supplies. Well worth it though, I just make sure to stock up as much as I can so I don't have to keep going there. It's a place called Brew & Grow. Very fun atmosphere and cool people. They even give out veggies and fruits they grow, along with samples of their beer and wines. Every time I walk in I'm like :hug

Good call, Tom. I just ordered a gallon of glycerine, a pound of sodium meta, and other ingredients in bulk. The shop I go to doesn't sell in bulk, though. Just little bottles of everything.

Oh damn. I mean, I do have potassium meta. in campden tablet form. I'll use the sodium for cleaning and sterilizing and the potassium in the wine directly from now on. Thanks for the tip! Learn something new every day I guess.

Back