apple wine not fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRichFish

Junior
Reaction score
On Tuesday the 17th I started my first 5 gallon batch of apple wine. I added 2.5 gallons of apple juice (no preservatives listed on label) to 2.5 gallons water, added in the required acid blend, pectin, energizer, and crushed campden tablets. Added 10 lbs sugar and two pounds brown sugar, and eight cups raisins and some ground cloves and some ground ginger. Starting SG was 1.120.

Next day (Wednesday) I added one package champaign yeast mixed in with 1/4 cup warm water. Stirred daily.

Thursday the SG was still 1.120, still the same today (Friday). It doesn't look like its doing anything. No bubbles coming through the air lock, no bubbles in the primary.

Does champaign yeast take longer, or did I do something wrong? I have peach wine fermenting in a separate carboy next to the apple, its doing fine, so I assume the temperature is ok.

Curious, are you following a specific recipe? About the fermentation, what temperature is your must? Some fermenations can take a little longer. I have never used Champaign yeast before. I just racked off my first batch of apple wine that I pinched last week. I let it go for 7 days and to 1.008 and then racked and pressed the juice into two carboys. I used fresh apples, 30lbs, 9lbs of sugar and topped with water. I did not add campden or K-Meta. I pinched with one packet of Premier Cuvee yeast mixed with a bit of warm water and orange juice. I would think you should have some active fermentation by now unless you are trying a cold fermentation. It would not hurt anything IMHO to add a different yeast to jump start it again.

I'm basically following a recipe for spiced apple wine that was included in a winemaking kit, except I switched out 2 pounds of white sugar for brown sugar. The must is 72 degrees F. Can I wait as long as Monday to add a different yeast? I won't have access to any until then at the earliest.

Always used Lalvin yeast myself but at that gravity level is that too high for that yeast?

Did you rehydrate the yeast?

You shouldn't add water, your wine will be very thin and lack flavor.

Too much water, shouldn't water down juice, only concentrates. Get 2 more gallons of juice, dump in 4 lbs of sugar and it'll take off eventually

On the 21st I added two more gallons of apple juice and four more pounds of sugar, SG was 1.126. Now three days later still no fermentation and SG is still 1.126.

After almost nine days sitting in the primary with no fermentation, is the apple juice still good? Should I add a packet of fruit wine yeast (it already has one packet of champaign yeast), or should I dump the whole thing and start over? Even if the fermentation kicks in with the addition of the wine yeast, will it be any good after sitting so long?

Pitch some EC-1118 in it. According to reports from others, it will start a rusty iron pipe to ferment.

Added a packet of Montrachet, it took another seven days but finally the SG hit 1.040. Eighteen days in the primary.

Make sure you keep some nutrient in it. How does it smell?? If it has had any problems your nose will probably tell you. Otherwise, think you are going to have some rocket fuel. It will probably have to age for quite a while for the apple flavor to catch up with the alcohol. A good flavor pack mite help it along when it is done fermenting. It will help give flavor back to it. If you need it, and you will know if you do, and don't know how to add one, come on back and ask. Some of us will be glad to help. Arne.

Thanks for the offer to help. At the moment it still smells like cloves. I don't really have much hope for this batch and expect to eventually dump it and try a different apple wine recipe. Would like to know what I did wrong so I don't repeat it however.

I've racked this twice since the beginning of October, SG has been at 1.006 since the last week of October. AV is 15.6%. Is there a way I can improve its flavor, the alcohol taste is "slightly" overbearing.

Latest posts

Back