Apple wine in bottles today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreR

Reaction score
So getting ready for Christmas, I got 5 gallons of apple/crabapple wine bottled today. Turned out awesome! Cleared brilliantly, double bonus. :h
0934DC75-0952-4751-8FFD-CCBD058EDDA8_zpscu919r0t.jpg

PierreR care to share your recipe please? Looks great! Very impressed! Abv? Fresh apples, juice, if apples what kind did ya use? How long bulk aging? They are beautiful! Thanks:HB

Those labels look pretty cool. Any chance you'd post another photo giving us a closer look at the label? Appears that they are contoured/cut at the top.

PierreR care to share your recipe please? Looks great! Very impressed! Abv? Fresh apples, juice, if apples what kind did ya use? How long bulk aging? They are beautiful! Thanks:HB

Well, the apples were 40% crab, which variety I have no clue. There was a young tree in our yard when we bought the house. The balance was from the neighbors tree. Looks like a McIntoish, or Spartan maybe? Juice was steam extracted. Total 6 US gallons.

5 tsp. acid blend
2 1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
1 tsp grape tannin
5 crushed Campden tablets
Lalvin EC-1118 yeast and nutrient
Used Corn Sugar to bring SG to 1.105

After fermentation finished, SG. was 0.982 Huh! So I did the calc based on original SG of 1.105, that's 16.7%! Did a little testing, back sweetened a little to .992. SO2 and Sorbate, aged 14 months. My daughter helped with the labeling, and I asked her to write the year on the bottles... Yup, 2015 :h Oh, well. I know its supposed to be 2014, but didnt want to mess up the labels.

Some put the date they are bottled some put the start date on so you are not wrong, I use the date they are bottled. Except when the wine needs aged more in the carboy and labels already purchased lol

Your label is awesome!

Aged 14 months. Wow! I've got an apple wine (made from 6 gallons of raw cider) aging right now and I'm figuring 2 months carboy and then 2 months bottle aging and it is good to go. Wish I had started this hobby 50 years ago but now at 70+ no way I'm waiting a year plus to enjoy the fruits of my labor. :dg

Back