Apple pie wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say for sure how the apple taste is because it is the first time I have made it and it is in secondary still. Of course after primary all there was is what we call "jet fuel taste" But we now know the importance of aging. My goal is for Thanksgiving day dinner.

There are a few recipes on the forum for it. I printed several recipes and chose the one I thought met my needs in terms of ingredients and spices. And I wound up using apple pie spice. If I need more apple at the end I will use simmered down apple juice or apple extract but that is months away. I will decide at the right time for my wine how to finish it. Not sure how the spices will come through but I will figure it out when the time comes.

it comes out nicely, just let it age the longer it sits the better it gets. thats actually another one I am looking to do again because its so good.

Is there any backsweetening needed? flavor pac? Topping off with juice??

All I have to say is that if apple was the first wine I made from scratch,,it would have been the last,,I rack it yesterday and the smell was awful!!! I had to hold my nose to take a taste,,but since the taste was fine I let it alone! I just keep reminding myself, all good things come to those who wait,,and wait I will for that smell to go away,,lol!!!

All I have to say is that if apple was the first wine I made from scratch,,it would have been the last,,I rack it yesterday and the smell was awful!!! I had to hold my nose to take a taste,,but since the taste was fine I let it alone! I just keep reminding myself, all good things come to those who wait,,and wait I will for that smell to go away,,lol!!!

Mine doesn't smell bad at all. What was the smell of your? I had a Sauv Blanc kit smell it up, a few splash rackings solved that problem.

I did 3 gallons and it smelled great from the start. Just racked again last night and the taste if pretty good for a 3 month wine. I plan to age it longer though.

Terry,

I agree. During ferment it smells terrible.

I used fresh apples and yes there was a period when the smell wasn't all that great.

Age this for at least a year and the apple flavor really comes thru.

Last week I found a 4L jug of my Apple Wine 2010 [we just moved 600+ mi. & the winery ,it's upside down]. Made from apples in Oct. it's 2.5 yrs. old, it was very good, very smooth, & good apple taste. This batch I didn't spice or oak, just straight apple. Put a dash of green colorant in it for last night's St Patty's Day party. "GREEN APPLE" Wine was a big hit. Roy

Last edited:
I used fresh apples and yes there was a period when the smell wasn't all that great.

Age this for at least a year and the apple flavor really comes thru.

Julie
did you backsweeten or flavor pack at all?

I pushed the fruit down twice a day and I just backsweeten with sugar and corn syrup but I take some of the wine out and use that instead of adding water. I also use straight juice from my apples, no water.

Apples were scare here last fall and what was available was very expensive so I used juice. Will most likely us apples this coming fall if they are available.

I am interested in who back sweetened and with what?

I get my apples from a local apple grower, 2nds as they call them, for 18.00 a box. And the boxes do not have those silly dividers in them. I just hope I have enough apple wine to last till I can get another batch aged.

i am a beginner with this, may i ask what "backsweetend" and "flavor packs" are?

Latest posts

Back