Apple Cider ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burch

Reaction score
I`ve been experimenting with a Hard Cider recipe I found in a survival magazine. It calls for 1 gal. Apple juice, 1 packet of Lalvin EC-1118, 2 lbs. of sugar ( which i`ve settled on the raw sugar ). Now, this recipe is drinkable after 2 weeks. I tried it at first with the recommended 2 lbs. of sugar and it was pretty sweet. Then I tried 1 lb of sugar and had to back sweeten it. So i`m thinking 1 1/2 lbs might be just right for a 1gal batch. My question is: I wanna make a 5 gal batch and i`m not sure about how much sugar to add and how long I should let it ferment since the recipe for a 1gal batch calls for 10 days of fermentation. Also, what can I use to stop fermentation if I do need to back sweeten it ? I`ll have to admit with a simple recipe this is pretty tasty stuff. I accually used Apple juice that was just pasturized with no added chemicals.

Burch :d

I've been making a lot of cider lately as well and it almost always comes out dry. My guess is that you did not let it finish out. EC-1118 will ferment to 18% and my rough guess is that your apple cider + 2 pounds should be close to or just under that.

All that said -- I generally use almost exactly 1.5pounds per gallon. (but it comes out dry) and then bottle condition.

By the way - you can use potassium sorbate to prevent renewed fermentation, but it's not recommended to *stop* fermentation. I don't know if people use sorbate in hard cider, someone else can probably answer that.
:sm

you only need to add sorbate if you are going to back sweeten.

Best way to figure how much sugar to add is to take and sg reading of the juice before you add any sugar, as these will very. once you have your initial sg reading and size there is a calculator on this forum that you can download (Winecalc) you type in your initial sg , amount of gallons and what your target abv is and then it will figure how much sugar you need to add.

Works really nice. id say you want a starting sg of 1.080-1.090 depending on what alcohol content you want.

you only need to add sorbate if you are going to back sweeten.

Best way to figure how much sugar to add is to take and sg reading of the juice before you add any sugar, as these will very. once you have your initial sg reading and size there is a calculator on this forum that you can download (Winecalc) you type in your initial sg , amount of gallons and what your target abv is and then it will figure how much sugar you need to add.

Works really nice. id say you want a starting sg of 1.080-1.090 depending on what alcohol content you want.

Well that helps alot and many thanks. Now I have to find out how long to let it ferment.

Not to be obvious here but... Hydrometer, hydrometer, hydrometer... It will fix/help with all your problems!

Back