Apple Cider/Jack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty good video Tom. Two guys playing with their apples. The ice wine type of cider was interesting. The one guys reaction was pretty funny when he started kicking like a horse after trying it. I'm not sure if these guys are just getting into wine making or geering the show to new people showing how easy it is.

Pretty good video Tom. Two guys playing with their apples. The ice wine type of cider was interesting. The one guys reaction was pretty funny when he started kicking like a horse after trying it. I'm not sure if these guys are just getting into wine making or geering the show to new people showing how easy it is.

Is really a BEER podcast that comes out about every 2 weeks

you convinced me... started 3 gallons on sunday. whole foods has 1g of unfiltered apple juice in a glass jug for $7.xx. It seems to be perfect. I pullled out about a glass full, replaced with disolved sugar/brown sugar/honey and am fermenting in the bottle.

wait wait wait... how is stuff like apple jack ok but distilling is not allowed?

Was NOT distilling. In video he froze the Apple cider and concentrated the wine.

When was fractional freezing not ok, it's totally different from distilling and won't leave you blind, apple jack is as american as baseball, its been done for years.

So how would you figure out the alcohol content? I would guess that if you started out with a gallon at 12% and you got a quart out of it would you have 48% ? That seems pretty high, anyone know how to calculate it?

Just taste it, if you feel a warm fuzy feelin' in your throat that means it must be around 20-25% ABV, if it feels burnig and hot on the toungue it should be 30-35% ABV, if it tastes like whisky then it is true Apple Jack:dg

I'm not sure on this, but from my reading of the text -- jacking is probably consider distillation. It's likely just so uncle sam can steal more of my tax money -- but just wanted to share.

Section 117(a) of the Federal Alcohol Administration Act (27 U.S.C. 211(a)) defines distilled spirits as ethyl alcohol, hydrated oxide of ethyl, spirits of wine, whiskey, rum, brandy, gin, and other distilled spirits, including all dilutions and mixtures thereof for nonindustrial use.

Back